Fragile Gods - "Greatest Misses" (video added on Dec 28)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"Greatest Misses" is a love-gone-wrong song produced as an unabashedly 80s dance track. Once again Aika Zabala provided backing vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-anTXqzR2I
Please click the Like button on the video if it's not too much trouble. Thanks!

Synths: Repro5, Monark, Icarus
Drums: Soniccouture Electro-Acoustic, Drumatic4, BFD3

Any feedback is appreciated.

Changes in the Dec 22 mix:
* more varied drum fills
* extended ending
* minor mix tweaks
Last edited by Frantz on Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.

My Feedback

Music - 9.5
Instruments - 9.5
Performance - 10
Mix - 9.5

Overall - 9.625

Comments: Vocals remind me of somebody but he's not coming to me. It will eventually. Love the groove on this one. Got it! Cross between David Bowie and Lou Reed. No, that's not it. Damn, this is driving me crazy. If I could think of the song, I'd get it. Anyway, great job!

Great song !

Love it.

Every bit as good as "Falling". And that song went around in my head for days.

Aika needs to be a full member of fragile gods in my humble opinion.

I am from the UK and on the BBC we have a music show with Jules Holland called "Later". The show often has New York bands on it. I could well imagine a future episode with fragile gods on the guest list. 8)

this nails the genre 100% ...
what a beautiful mix ; clear , tight , well balanced ...

Okay, listened to the track again and after going through the entire 80s charts (thank God I was alive back then) you sound like a cross between

Philip Oakey (Human League)
Robin Scott (M)
Ric Ocasek (Cars)
Ivan Doroschuk (Men Without Hats)
Jim Kerr (Simple Minds)

wagtunes wrote: Music - 9.5
Instruments - 9.5
Performance - 10
Mix - 9.5

Overall - 9.625

Comments: Vocals remind me of somebody but he's not coming to me. It will eventually. Love the groove on this one. Got it! Cross between David Bowie and Lou Reed. No, that's not it. Damn, this is driving me crazy. If I could think of the song, I'd get it. Anyway, great job!
At first I wasn't crazy about your scoring system but since I got high marks, I am now a big fan. :D

A Bowie-Reed hybrid is a cool combination if you are getting that from the vox.

Glad you liked it!

Frantz wrote:"Greatest Misses" is a love-gone-wrong song produced as an unabashedly 80s dance track. Once again Aika Zabala provided backing vocals.

https://soundcloud.com/fragilegods/greatest-misses

Fragile Gods "Greatest Misses"

Synths: Repro5, Monark, Icarus
Drums: Soniccouture Electro-Acoustic, Drumatic4

The lyrics are on Soundcloud. Any feedback is appreciated.
Listened to this a few times now,so here are my thoughts.

Pros: It sounds analogue enough to fool me. Great songwriting. Love the chord changes.

Cons: The drums could do with some variation ? Maybe drop out for a few beats or something ? Vary the velocity ?

The end is too abrupt for my taste. You obviously intended it that way ,but abrupt ending are hard to do right. 8)

Very cool, really liked this, has a KW meets Manchester feel, its very catchy.
Strings and acid√
Strong beat √
Catchy vocal√
Box1√
Box2√
Yep, ti √ all the boxes :D
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Love the harmonies at 3.03 mins.

Did you double the vocals ?

Chorus ?

If its just natural vox, without fx, then your two voices together were just meant to be 8)

dellboy wrote:Great song !

Love it.

Every bit as good as "Falling". And that song went around in my head for days.

Aika needs to be a full member of fragile gods in my humble opinion.

I am from the UK and on the BBC we have a music show with Jules Holland called "Later". The show often has New York bands on it. I could well imagine a future episode with fragile gods on the guest list. 8)
Thanks for your enthusiastic feedback! Glad you enjoyed this song too.

Fragile Gods is probably going to remain a hobby project that does not do live gigs. And since Aika is in the Philippines, it would not be practical to work with her in person. But I will continue to commission vocals from her. I think she sounds fantastic and there is no problem sending files across the internet.

I used to regularly watch Jules' "Later" when it was available on my local cable but they dropped the entire channel. :( Fortunately, I still see clips of "Later" on YouTube sometimes. :)

dellboy wrote:Love the harmonies at 3.03 mins.

Chorus ?

If its just natural vox, without fx, then your two voices together were just meant to be 8)
The reason why the harmonies at 3:03 sound so good is because I am not singing there. :) Aika is singing the same line 3 times - the original, a fifth above, and an octave below. No chorus or special effects, just a bit of reverb on her vocals.

I dig! Backing track sounds like one of those synthwave tunes that's all over youtube. Cool vocals, too.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

Frantz wrote:
dellboy wrote:Love the harmonies at 3.03 mins.

Chorus ?

The reason why the harmonies at 3:03 sound so good is because I am not singing there. :) Aika is singing the same line 3 times - the original, a fifth above, and an octave below. No chorus or special effects, just a bit of reverb on her vocals.
Ah, I clicked on the link and see Aika is a professional singer. I thought she was good.

But the song is entirely your own work ?

Whose idea was it to treble the vocals ? That's a great technique.

experimental.crow wrote:this nails the genre 100% ...
what a beautiful mix ; clear , tight , well balanced ...
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback on the mix!

wagtunes wrote:Okay, listened to the track again and after going through the entire 80s charts (thank God I was alive back then) you sound like a cross between

Philip Oakey (Human League)
Robin Scott (M)
Ric Ocasek (Cars)
Ivan Doroschuk (Men Without Hats)
Jim Kerr (Simple Minds)
It would be great if I somehow sound like a cross between all of those guys. I like all of them . Thanks for giving it another listen. :)

Return to “Music Cafe”