Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
Kazrog
KVRian

768 posts since 24 Oct, 2009

Postby Kazrog; Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:08 am True Iron released

True Iron is out now! Use this as a thread to discuss the release.

https://youtu.be/ZXLIiiHuzx8
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
Burillo
KVRAF

2802 posts since 15 Nov, 2006, from Hell

Postby Burillo; Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:45 am Re: True Iron released

interesting plugin. very subtle unless you drive pretty hard, but does something cool to the sound. one of those plugins which you don't notice until you switch it off.

one usability complaint - even in "unity" mode, strength less than 5.0 results in lost gain, which kind of defeats the point of "unity" mode IMO.

question - are there going to be any discounts for e.g. complete collection owners? i mean, $40 is pretty reasonable price, but i'm all for additional perks :D
From Russia with love
frthib
KVRist

100 posts since 29 Nov, 2017, from Québec, Québec, Canada

Postby frthib; Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:14 am Re: True Iron released

I didn't try it yet so I can't speak about that VST specifically but It would be cool if those algorithm could be somehow integrated and adapted in a new version of thermionik. I would love the idea to be able to choose the output transformer of an amp.
ex: stock, vintage, oversized, mercury mag., classic british, classic american.

anyway. I will try the demo. pretty curious.
Kazrog
KVRian

Postby Kazrog; Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:15 am Re: True Iron released

Unity vs. Boost affects the input level - this is mainly there for transformer purists who've worked with the real hardware and are used to the resultant gain changes.

Complete Collection 1 owners can save 20% off True Iron with coupon code J0L5NGAM
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
Burillo
KVRAF

2802 posts since 15 Nov, 2006, from Hell

Postby Burillo; Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:32 am Re: True Iron released

thanks, that's very generous on top of the already generous price!

so, please correct me if i'm wrong. in "boost" mode, input gain is affected by "strength" knob - the more strength, the higher the input level. in "unity" mode, input gain is not supposed to be affected by "strength" knob. is my understanding correct here?

EDIT: just read the manual. all clear now :) "boost" mode is simply +3dB on input, nothing else.
From Russia with love
zentatonic
KVRist

135 posts since 16 Mar, 2004

Postby zentatonic; Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:00 am Re: True Iron releas

I tried this on a vocal a while ago. Bought it in less than a minute lol. For the price, it's a no brainer.
Niowiad
KVRist

156 posts since 25 Jan, 2017

Postby Niowiad; Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:01 pm Re: True Iron released

Unexpected. Downloaded. Tried. Getting a license soon :clap:

I couldn't find anything on Google about those two emulated transformers, any notable application in known/specific outboard gear?
The plugin sounds great at that's enough for me to like it, but I'm just curious at this point :hihi:
Bouroki
KVRist

165 posts since 16 Jun, 2013, from Morocco

Postby Bouroki; Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:31 am Re: True Iron released

Niowiad wrote:Unexpected. Downloaded. Tried. Getting a license soon :clap:

I couldn't find anything on Google about those two emulated transformers, any notable application in known/specific outboard gear?
The plugin sounds great at that's enough for me to like it, but I'm just curious at this point :hihi:

It's all in the manual.
Niowiad
KVRist

156 posts since 25 Jan, 2017

Postby Niowiad; Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:14 am Re: True Iron released

Thank you! I read all the manuals but I really didn't notice it was available in the download page :oops:
frthib
KVRist

Postby frthib; Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:56 am Re: True Iron released

I tried it, Burillo said it best, subtle as it should (it not a distortion pedal after all) but it does something to the sound that you will miss when it's turned off.

UI is great. Simple, to the point and great colors. And a funny easter egg. Those knobs render are 1000% better than anything I saw from Kazrog up to now.

I have a feeling he is getting closer to be able to bottle the vaporous "studio magic" and democratize it.
Last edited by frthib on Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
frthib
KVRist

Postby frthib; Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:10 am Re: True Iron released

Oh I and it would be great if we could have a "flowchart" of all the Kazrog ecosystem.. Where to place what.. I know it's in the manual, but a basic explanation of interactions and optimal positionning of all the VSTs would be appreciated.

ValveEQ, KClip3, True Iron... They all have shades of clipping.. In what order do you recommand to put them and where? Tracks? Master? Bus?
Kazrog
KVRian

Postby Kazrog; Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:12 am Re: True Iron released

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

So, True Iron is the kind of plugin you can use on every track and bus if you want. Generally, how I tend to do processing on the master bus these days is ValvEQ first, then True Iron, then KClip 3, however there are no rules. I'd encourage you especially, though, to not over-rely on any single instance of any plugin. Gain staging is the key.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC
frthib
KVRist

Postby frthib; Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:20 pm Re: True Iron released

This forum needs a +1 or a thumbs up. I just did what Kazrog said and he's right on the money!. Awesome results!. Never thought I could attain that sound quality.
:party: :hyper:
richardt4520
KVRer

8 posts since 1 Dec, 2017

Postby richardt4520; Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:22 pm Re: True Iron released

Tried it for about 60 seconds and pulled the trigger. Absolutely love the American mode with boost on. It just has this thickness and brings tracks forward in a very (i hate to use the word since it's so over-used) analog way. Very well done. This is going to retire a lot of my character plugins. It really sounds great!
Eleventh
KVRist

308 posts since 1 Dec, 2012

Postby Eleventh; Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:00 pm Re: True Iron released

After a quick test this seems to sound really nice on various drum tracks :tu:

What I find a bit weird though is that the output gain is hidden by default, because this thing really needs it for proper comparison. I would rather have the Unity/Boost switch as the easter egg. :P

Anyway, cool plugin! Cheers!
Next

Moderators: Moderators (Main), Kazrog Mods

Return to Kazrog