Open Discussion for XR18 and Waveform 9

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey folks.
I hope this is being posted in a proper location. I'm new to forums as well as Waveform 9.

I'm using Waveform 9 (WF9) in concert with a Behringer XR18. So far I'm very pleased with them. One thing, I'm not doing any MIDI creations or anything like that. I'm just making track recordings and overdubbing to create songs. I'm running WF9 on a windows 10 PC and it seems to be working just fine. All 18 inputs and outputs are available and useable. One thing I have a question about is this: I create tracks using the XR18 and instruments and mics. The volume level on playback is suitable in this arrangement. However, If I copy a WF9 project folder to a second PC (a mobile laptop with windows 10), the volume level (played back through the windows audio device as default) is very low. I can increase the gain to the clips but upon rendering to an MP3 they come out too loud. Does anyone know how to adjust the playback volume in this scenario?

This is a stupid question, but what is the Windows volume applet set to?

Also you might try putting ASIO4ALL on your laptop. It just installs an ASIO driver for the onboard soundcard.

My volume is set at 100%. Can barely hear it. I will try the ASIO4ALL. Thanks for suggestion.

The volume of Windows audio on my laptop has changed inconsistently and for the worst. When I got it, it had Windows 8 on it. When I upgraded to Windows 10, it got quieter. When I installed one of the big Windows 10 updates, it got quieter again. I have no idea what to do about it. It's always on 100% now.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

On windows, you can bring up a mixer option with most soundcards/chips. I think the windows volume control is only the master gain, but you might find one of the other "faders" may not be at 100%.

Sometimes you get it right-clicking on the volume icon, sometimes it's an application in the tray for the soundcard.
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

WF9.PNG
This problem is with WF9 only.

All other audio players are working as expected.

Are you saying that WFP has the ability to increase the overall volume?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You haven't got the "Input Gain" set to something other than "0dB" for your input devices have you?
Can you assign an input, select it and upload an image of the properties panel please?

I'm using two computers. One is connected to the XR18 via the USB cable. The inputs are set there for the recording. On the second computer where I'm editing the project ( I have copied the project to the second computer). So, there are no inputs for the tracks on the second PC. They have been pre-recorded on the first PC. Maybe this is just a crazy way of doing things. But, when I am mobile I can still work on the Mastering for the project without lugging around the XR18. Here is the crazy part: On the second PC, when I export the project/edit to an MP3 file, the volume is ok and normal. But, while working in WF9 on the mastering, after the project is copied to the second PC, the volume is very low. I know this is a crazy problem and I do appreciate the feedback.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Just highlight one of those audio tracks, and show us the properties panel ... because the waveforms look really really small ...
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

Capture.PNG
You make a great point. I went to WF9 and checked the input settings. It allows the Input Gain to be increased. I'm going to do another project and bring up the input gain and see if that helps. Thank you very much for the suggestion. I'll post back later with results.

Fixed.PNG
Hey Chico!!!

You nailed it Dude..

By increasing the input gain on the tracks while recording builds a sizable wav signal. It comes out nicely on the 2nd PC when copied over.

Thanks a bunch for your help.

hmm, you shouldn't have a need to do that gainpush on the WF9 input-panel.

the first gain to look for when levels are too low, is the gain for the inputs on the xr18. increase it in the xr-18 mixer-app, until the highest peaks are nearing -10 db. it is not the mixerfader from the xr18 app, it is an inputgain parameter, available in the track settings.
this should give you similar waveforms like you got with the gain you used now.

the xr18 inputgain is an analog gainstage that is digitally controlled. you need to have healthy levels there first or you risk having a quite high noisefloor.

klangbastler nailed sleuthing one of the connections. The gain control adjuster.

Additionally, there are other places to check/adjust input/output gains.
If you are using outboard effects on the signals passing through from the guitar/mandola/mic, they also have gain controls.
An ideal way to check would be a VU meter placed in the output of each powered effect, sequentially.
1. Set the first-in-line's output/volume control to 'unity'.
2. Use a highest performance volume, adjust the input gain to show 0 VU or 0db at the output.
That's what those 0's are. Input equals output.
Those boxes do all kinds of crazy manipulations between the in/out jacks.
3. Then connect to the next and repeat.
This is a 'must-do' if you're using a pedal board with many effect boxes as each in the chain is expecting either 0 VU, or 0db at it's input.
They're different. Look it up.

I made such a vu meter easily.
In amazon, search 'audio vu meter', the old fashioned kind with a needle. ;)
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i ... 7CWLVYILUB

30 bucks well spent for me and the band of elder hobby players I play with.
3 mics on drums, keys, 2 guitars, bass, vox mics, each with several effects in-line toward the mixer/DAC interface/waveform visualizer on the monitor that's displaying varying voltages.
Whew! Lot's of places to optimize throughput.

But if you're plugging directly into a mixer channel, then klang's advice's all you need.
You shouldn't have to set waveform's gains at anything but zero.

btw, you can set WF's vu meters back and forth between peak and .rms with a right click.
And before pressing record, go into options/show big input meters, while prepping for performance, will give you much larger insight.

A free 'needle' vu meter plug-in comes in handy for mixdown. Place it anywhere you want.
Hoozda Band

Thanks for all the feedback. Great forum.

Return to “Tracktion”