Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
This forum is sponsored by
Bass Master from Loopmasters

Heavy, speaker-shaking tones are just a few clicks away with Bass Master. This synth is totally dedicated to bass, and it's built on Loopmasters' award-winning sonic history.

Whether you are making House, Techno, Drum and Bass, Trap, Hip Hop or other electronic music styles, Bass Master's huge variety of source sounds provide the inspiration for a weighty, powerful bass tone.

Read more at www.pluginboutique.com
ENV1
KVRAF

2268 posts since 31 Aug, 2011

Postby ENV1; Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:39 am Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

Vocaloid 5 Blurb wrote:The Vocaloid singing synthesizer makes it possible to easily produce any kind of singing voice you can imagine using just a computer.

Finally, at last, i can make those Joe Cocker and Janis Joplin tribute albums i always wanted to make!

Vocaloid 5
wagtunes
KVRAF

12399 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:45 am Re: Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

ENV1 wrote:
Vocaloid 5 Blurb wrote:The Vocaloid singing synthesizer makes it possible to easily produce any kind of singing voice you can imagine using just a computer.

Finally, at last, i can make those Joe Cocker and Janis Joplin tribute albums i always wanted to make!

Vocaloid 5

I doubt the improvement is that dramatic but I am slightly intrigued. Still, not expecting any miracles.
Lotuzia
KVRAF

9639 posts since 19 Feb, 2004, from Paris

Postby Lotuzia; Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:46 am Re: Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

ENV1 wrote:

Vocaloid 5

Sure you meant Ken Cocker and Kaori Joplin 8)
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there
fisherKing
KVRAF

1620 posts since 6 Aug, 2009

Postby fisherKing; Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:51 am Re: Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

joe cocker and janis joplin were vocaloid voices to begin with (so a tribute album with vocaloid should be easy)...
http://upstatebrooklyn.com/
always one plugin short of perfection...
ENV1
KVRAF

Postby ENV1; Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:59 am Re: Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

wagtunes wrote:I doubt the improvement is that dramatic but I am slightly intrigued. Still, not expecting any miracles.

The 'any kind of' bit is a bold-face lie and the 'easily' bit only makes it even worse.

Its clearly false advertizing, so how they can get away with something like that is frankly beyond me.

Lotuzia wrote:Sure you meant Ken Cocker and Kaori Joplin 8)

My mistake! :lol:
ENV1
KVRAF

Postby ENV1; Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:59 am Re: Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

fisherKing wrote:joe cocker and janis joplin were vocaloid voices to begin with (so a tribute album with vocaloid should be easy)...

I will get right to it.

Yay Yamaha! :lol:
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

22504 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:12 am Re: Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

Can it "sing" like John Lydon? :ud:
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:14 am Re: Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

Okay folks, I watched the 15 minute video that you can watch here.

https://www.vocaloid.com/en/

As a Vocaloid 4 expert (and yes, I am definitely an expert as I've done hundreds of Vocaloid tracks) here is the no nonsense 25 cent tour of Vocaloid 5 in simple, quick, to the point terms.

1. They blew the doors off the technology as far as what you can do with this. Vocaloid 4 to Vocaloid 5 is like comparing MS DOS to Windows 7. Literally mind blown at the difference.

2. Yes, it IS incredibly easy to work with Vocaloid 5. So much more easier than with Vocaloid 4. All that's to be determined is how buggy the initial release is. That is always a concern.

3. They FINALLY got rid of that horrible vocoder sound in the vocals. Yes, you can still get it with FX but the natural voice of the built in singers is human as far as surface sound goes.

Okay, so why did I use the term "surface sound?" Because that's what it is. It still does not, nor can it EVER have the kind of human dynamics that you're going to get out of a Tina Turner or a Celine Dionne or whoever you want to use as an example as somebody with a dynamic voice.

But, and this is the absolute critical part, for those boy band fluffy singers (you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about) this thing is a NEAR perfect replacement. I can post tons of examples of the kind of music I'm talking about. But I don't have to. We all know THAT sound.

Vocaloid 5 is LEAPS AND BOUNDS ahead of Vocaloid 4 in every way. There is no disputing that. For realistic human vocals (as long as you're not looking for a dynamic singer) this is so close it's scary.

But don't take my word for it. Listen for yourself and imagine somebody like a Backstreet Boys or NSync or Justin Bieber. Especially Bieber. This thing sounds just as good if not better.

Watch the video.
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF

10201 posts since 24 May, 2009, from A galaxy, far far away

Postby el-bo (formerly ebow); Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:27 am Re: Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

Lotuzia wrote:
ENV1 wrote:

Vocaloid 5

Sure you meant Ken Cocker and Kaori Joplin 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DJErmac
KVRist

408 posts since 25 Apr, 2009, from Fr

Postby DJErmac; Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:37 am Re: Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

IMHO as a singer replacement there is still a long way to travel, even with this new version, but as a creative instrument, this thing is very, very interesting. I love the futuristic (somewhat GlaDOS-like) tone you got on your songs thanks to Vocaloid Wagtunes, this is creativity !
mcbpete
KVRian

1115 posts since 24 Jun, 2006, from London, England

Postby mcbpete; Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:41 am Re: Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

The voices sound like an offensive impression of how profoundly-deaf people speak.
Delta Sign
KVRist

143 posts since 22 Jun, 2018

Postby Delta Sign; Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:50 am Re: Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

It definitely seems to sound better than before, but it still barely scratches the "I get it, it's supposed to sound human" surface. There is nothing wrong with that. It can definitely be used as a creative instrument, but no one would ever mistake the results for any kind of human voice, at least judging from the incredibly cringy promo vid. I'd love to hear some more examples.
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:55 am Re: Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

The snobbery in this place is laughable, not to mention the hypocrisy.

The other day, one of our moderators (Kevvvv) was looking for a string machine. And all these suggestions came up, including what I think is one of the best ones out today, Arturia's Solina V.

Even though these things sound NOTHING like real strings. In fact, it's laughable to even consider these as a replacement for the real thing. But we use them. And we're not only content with them but we LOVE THEM.

And then, we have all our sample libraries that we use in place of the REAL thing. We love them too, even though some of them aren't all that great and even the best ones fall way short of the real thing in terms of sound and expressiveness.

And then, even with vocals, we use vocoders and other vocal FX processors that turn a human voice into a Cher clone because, by gosh, we LOVE THAT TOO.

But Vocaloid? We can't hurl enough insults at it. We can't find words vile enough to say about it.

What a bunch of hypocrites.
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR

4490 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from the grimness of yorkshire

Postby donkey tugger; Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:56 am Re: Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

Still no, 'fat lancastrian heavy smoking pisshead' preset then. Job's safe for now.
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

11486 posts since 5 Jun, 2012, from Portugal

Postby fluffy_little_something; Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:59 am Re: Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

Does it work like a modeling synth or is it sample-based? Can I simply enter the lyrics to be sung? 8)

Either way, I don't like such developments, sooner or later music will mean nothing anymore.
It will be like with those ultra-realistic animation movies.
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments