EDM / Goa-trance

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

Looking for input on the mix for this one, but anything is welcome of course.
Voice samples taken from the tv-show Travelers.

https://soundcloud.com/candybag/bsav/s-JnJlV
Yamaha HS7 - HD600 - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - Akai MPK261
www.soundcloud.com/frozen_orb
www.facebook.com/frozenorbmusic

Low end is completely messed up here. Not only drowns the mix both in intro and with the beat, but also gives completely no punch to main loop. Mono + multiband compression for starters.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

My Feedback

Music - 7.5
Instruments - 7.5
Performance - 8
Mix - 6

Overall - 7.25

Comments: Agree with DJ. The low end drowns everything else out. Do you even have anything going on in this track besides the kick, bass and arp? Musically, it's rather undeveloped. I mean the synth sounds are cool but not much substance. The poor vocals, which sound sampled, are barely audible. In short, mix is a train wreck. Yes, compression will probably help this a lot for starters. Plus take an EQ to around 50 hz.

DJ Warmonger wrote:Low end is completely messed up here. Not only drowns the mix both in intro and with the beat, but also gives completely no punch to main loop. Mono + multiband compression for starters.
wagtunes wrote:My Feedback

Music - 7.5
Instruments - 7.5
Performance - 8
Mix - 6

Overall - 7.25

Comments: Agree with DJ. The low end drowns everything else out. Do you even have anything going on in this track besides the kick, bass and arp? Musically, it's rather undeveloped. I mean the synth sounds are cool but not much substance. The poor vocals, which sound sampled, are barely audible. In short, mix is a train wreck. Yes, compression will probably help this a lot for starters. Plus take an EQ to around 50 hz.
Thank you! Guess it's back to the drawing board! And is that a rethorical question?

candybag wrote:Guess it's back to the drawing board!
Well...the mix is not as bad as the other members have suggested.
For this genre, you have all the elements in place, I'd say. The pounding bass has to be there. This is the signature part of Goa trance (but of course, there are different approaches to how the kick and bass work in various Goa tracks...)

The pounding kick, and the 'machine gun' bass, are the fundamentals here. It's far from "a train wreck of a mix". Of course, the mix can be approached differently, but there is really nothing drastically wrong with it. Listening to the mix, I get a sense that you wanted to feature the kick most of all, and maybe it can be mixed better, but it gives the track a sense of energy and urgency.

If you are going to work on the mix again, look at the mid-low frequency balance vs high frequency. Since overall the mix feels slightly 'suffocated'. I think it's mostly due to the space taken by all the quick firing synths, especially in the busiest parts of the track, like at 4:34min.

I'd be tempted to work on the hats and cymbals, to make them come through some more, but then again, the high frequency content is already saturated by the synths, which occupy the same sonic range as the hats, and so they already create that 'sizzle'. I like the sound of the open hat, which is less bright and provides a nice contrast to the more brighter sounds all around.

Overall, I think it's a high energy Goa trance track, with some cool synth sounds, I particularly like the part from 1:25min to 2:22min Really cool!
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote: Constructive criticism
Thanks alot for listening! I always lose perspective when mixing and you have some really solid input. I already planned on revisiting the mix in a few days after getting some feedback :)

If any of you need constructive criticism just PM me. I'll advice on your mixing as well, if you dare :hihi:

Return to “Music Cafe”