Cubase SX2: Converting/Printing an .xml file

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cheers guys,

I'm looking for a tool or a website able to convert/print the Cubase SX2 .xml files into a user-friendly/readable text format.
I would like to print out my highly customized keyboard shortcuts, for reference while still trying to memorize.
Once there was a site proposing a conversion for SX1 .xml files, but SX2 files didn't work. The guy said that maybe he'll be able to update this routine, but he'd have to upgrade to SX2 to have a look at the more recent format (apparently there are a few changes between the 2 .xml formats). Unfortunately I've lost the link to his site.

So is anybody aware of such a thing (site/app)? :roll: :roll:
I'd really appreciate big time.

Keep cool
Raphael
:wink:

Hi Raphael,

Not to sure what you are trying to do here :? , but
can you change the files .xml extension to .txt
and open it in a text editor :?:
The world was not given to you by your parents it is on loan from your children, respect !!!

Raven wrote:Hi Raphael,

Not to sure what you are trying to do here :? , but
can you change the files .xml extension to .txt
and open it in a text editor :?:

he probably wants it without the XML tags..

I'm sure there are xml editors with functionality like that.. so I advice raphael to use google and look for one

you could also write a small script in php or something to parse the xml
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

If you have a browser that renders client side XSLT (should work in IE) then you can write yourself a transformation. See this link http://www.w3schools.com/xsl/xsl_transformation.asp .

you can also use MS Excel (version XP and above) to open xml files.

plastique wrote:you can also use MS Excel (version XP and above) to open xml files.

can you easily parse it too with exel?
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

that's how an example will look like:
(i don't say it will be worth to buy excel just for that purpose though , but this ain't bad if you already use it)

Wow, lots a responses in a short time here.
Many thanks already folks. ;)

@spaceman: you're right, I want them without the tags. :D
I did a search on google, but couldn't find anything useable right now. Also, I'm not familiar with php or any other scripting engine, so it's out of the equation for the mo to write my own routines/scripts.

@plastique: I've tried importing the xml file into Excel (came bundled in Office XP with one of my PC's, but I'm using OpenOffice.org now, wich seems a lot faster and without all of the MS junk), but I didn't come up with a nice list like yours.
Not knowing Excel neither, I wasn't sure enough how to convert the file, since excel asked a couple of things/options for the import.

@cold c:I'll have a look at your link, to see if I can manage something.

I hope I'll come up with a NICE solution, wich prevents me from typing everything by hand as my last
option.

Have a nice day guys
Raphael

I just created an XSL file to demonstrate the SX2 key commands output, I can make the XSL file and instructions available for download if you want.

If any of you are still interested, the XSL file and instructions are available for download here.
convert_sx2_key_commands_xsl.zip 9KB
Instructions:

1) Unzip the contents of this archive to its own folder.

2) Then COPY your "Key Commands.xml" file from the following location -

"C:\Documents and Settings\USER_NAME\Application Data\Steinberg\Cubase SX 2"

to the same folder as this readme file and the XSL file provided. (USER_NAME represents your Windows user name)

3) Open the newly copied version of the "Key Commands.xml" in Notepad by doing the following -

right-click it >> select "Open With" >> "Choose Program..." >> Notepad

4) Copy the line shown below (including angle brackets) to the first line of your "Key Commands.xml" file -

<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="convert-sx2-keys.xsl"?>

4b) If you are unsure how to do this view the "Example Key Commands.xml" file in Notepad for clarification.

5) Save the file (using File >> Save).

6) Ensure the file is in the same folder as the "convert-sx2-keys.xsl" file.

7) Open the modified "Key Commands.xml" file in your browser by dragging and dropping it on to Firefox or IE.

The file should now display a list of categories and commands.
Tell me if it works.
:D

:o :o :o

Thanks a lot cold c.
That's way more than I could have expected.
I hope it didn't take you too long to create it. ;)

Will report back later to tell you if it worked.
I owe you a virtual beer :D :D :D

Raphael

You're my man of the month cold c :D :D :D

Works like a charm.
Again, thx a lot for your contribution.

Regards
Raphael

That's neat - nice one cold c :)

Good to know it worked :D I was unsure as SX2 seems to generate more than one type of file layout.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”