Yamaha Buys Steinberg

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Whoa.. Just found this over at Cubase.net. This could be really great for us Cubase users out there. Any thoughts?
From the Pinancle website:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. 12/20/2004-Pinnacle Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ: PCLE), a leader in digital video solutions, today announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to sell its Hamburg, Germany-based Steinberg audio software business to Yamaha Corporation. The transaction, which is subject to regulatory approval, is expected to be completed during Pinnacle’s third fiscal quarter ended March 31, 2005.

"Steinberg’s accomplishments and leadership in the professional audio software industry are directly inline with Yamaha’s long track record of success in that same industry," said Patti Hart, Pinnacle Systems Chairman and CEO. "We believe the deal is beneficial to both Pinnacle and Yamaha, and is absolutely the right move for Steinberg."

As part of the transaction, Steinberg and Pinnacle will cross-license certain intellectual property on a royalty-free basis and Pinnacle will continue to distribute Steinberg’s WaveLab Lite audio editing product with Pinnacle Studio Media Suite.

"For Pinnacle Systems this decision continues to tighten the company’s focus on our core strengths in the digital video solutions market," continued Hart. "We believe it also allows us to bring greater management and financial resources to leverage our core strengths in digital video for long-term market leadership and growth."

Pinnacle entered the audio business in January 2003 when it acquired Steinberg Media Technologies A.G., a market leader in professional audio software that was founded in 1984.
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/aboutus/PR/N ... angue_ID=7

interesting...

If this is true, the future looks bright for Steiny.
Last edited by Left Headphone on Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

innntere$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ting....

;)

RonC

Nice. I think this is good for all the cube-heads. A lot of interesting things could happen with somebody like Yamaha behind SX. 8)

I think this means that mLan may actually have a chance at becoming a stardard. We'll see.

I wonder if this is going to affect pricing in the future with Cubase?

too bad im a mackie/tracktion boy

RonC

Drat, now I wish I'd upgraded my VST/32.

Vocaloid Lite will be bundled and they will rename SX to SOL. Ok maybe not.

I wonder if they'll bring any of the "old guard" of Steinberg back home in the spring...
Houston Haynes

This is probably a good thing, although I'm sure it's hard on all the Steinberg employees to get shifted around like that. I've been pretty impressed with SX3. Let's hope this only adds to their momentum.

Yamaha is a company I really respect. Be interesting to see what (if anything) happens

Ugh. I'm still mad at Yamaha for buying out Sequential Circuits and then ignoring it. My poor Prophet 600's didn't deserve orphanhood.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”