ReWire and PDC

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My host doesn't have PDC. If I connect it to Cubase SX3 via ReWire and apply some effects to individual channels... will PDC work?
Will the channels from my host still be synched, if I apply a "latencied" effect on one of them in SX?
What if I apply a "latencied" effect in my host... any way to make it all synched in SX?

Thanks!
Last edited by ermi on Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anybody?

sure, the PDC might be needed for VST plugins. ReWire is sample accurate and doesn't need PDC.
Kind regards,

Marco Raaphorst

[composer/sound designer]

What I mean is:

I have tracks-channels from my host going to SX through ReWire.
On one of them channels in SX I apply SIR, which has latency. Will PDC work in this case? That is: will the tracks be synched?

Yes.

Placing effects on rewire channels (send or insert) works.

I set up Halion 3 as a rewire device, and inserted a cheap (read slow) comressor on the rewired audio channels 1+2. real time playing of the drums in Halion through the SX midi track and the delay is very noticeable.

Recorded Midi tracks played back through the rewired Halion play in time.

I added another of the same kit to halion's programs, and set that kit to output to channels 3+4.

Duplicating the Midi track and sending to the second program shows the PDC worked fine, as one path had a slow delay and the other no delays incurred by FX. The drums used played together as they should.

I don't have a seqencer app that runs in rewire mode, to test playback of tracks or internal seqences from the rewire client, but I believe that works too.

Thanks Bas!

What about the second thing that I was asking?
That is: when one of the channels comes in SX with already a delay from an effect in the slave host.

Is there a possibility for SX to know that and to synch the channels properly?

ermi wrote:Thanks Bas!

What about the second thing that I was asking?
That is: when one of the channels comes in SX with already a delay from an effect in the slave host.

Is there a possibility for SX to know that and to synch the channels properly?

No, it is not part of the rewire spec to have the host app auto PDC, rewire FX, from the slave app. IOW, you can use FX plugins, in your rewire slave app, that don't require PDC (most native plugins don't require PDC, btw), and your host app will play them fine, via rewire. But, if you have native plugins that use look ahead buffers or use DSP plugins like the UAD-1 or Powercore (that require PDC), in your slave app, your host rewire app will not be able to compensate for that. Best, to use those type FX, on the host rewire buses, as you stream your rewire tracks, from the slave app anyway.

Hope that made sense :wink:
I'm on the road to Sonic Nirvana
REAPER.....your DAW on a keychain! Don't leave home without it!
Visit me on ACIDPlanet

OK,

In halion I used a single drum kit, and used halions internal effects which I routed to a seperate output.

In SX I place SIR reverb (100% dry) on the original audio track for the dry sound, and left the effect channel from Hal rewire with no effects.

The timing of the internal (halion) delay effect was synced to 4/4, and the tempo information is passed via rewire, so the effect is that the delay signal and the dry signal (running through different channels with different delays in SX) ended up in perfect time.

Actually it is pretty impressive.

If your host actually preseents a late audio signal, then there is not much that SX can do to rectify that, aparts from recording the audio from it, and then moving the audio to match the correct timing.

Thanks again, to both you guys!

Well, actually I think I'd use almost all the 'heavy' effects in SX anyway, which seems to be a great program for mixing.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”