Fab Four is a virtual instrument inspired by the sounds of the Beatles, using the same kind of period instruments and authentic rare EMI recording equipment the Beatles used to create their music.
Fab Four sound engineer Ken Scott worked on five Beatles albums, including "A Hard Days Night", "Help", "Rubber Soul", "Magical Mystery Tour" (engineer), and "The Beatles" (engineer) - also known as the "White Album". Drummer Denny Seiwell and Guitarist Laurence Juber were both members of Paul McCartney and Wings.
"The Beatles had a profound impact on me, as they did for millions of others" said Fab Four producer Doug Rogers, "and they were the initial influence for my fascination with sounds. They were creative geniuses that never rested on their laurels, always producing exciting new music and sounds with each new record, much of it ground-breaking. Putting this project together took well over a year of research, equipment procurement (much of it from collectors), and putting together a team that could pull off such a feat; but it was a labor of love for us all, and we feel the result is truly worth it."
No expense was spared finding the same kind of period instruments and rare authentic EMI and other recording equipment the Beatles used to create their sounds to produce this collection, much of which, ironically, will end up in EastWest Studios, where the Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" was recorded, the inspiration for the Beatles "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" album, according to Paul McCartney.
Well over a million dollars worth of instruments, amplifiers, microphones, recording desks (including very rare EMI REDD tube and TG12345 desks), outboard equipment (including Fairchild limiters and EMI RS124 modified Altec compressors), and Studer J-37 tube multi-tracks were used in this production. If you are a film/tv/game composer, or a musician/producer looking for sounds not found in other collections, this is it. Blending these unique and sometimes bizarre sounds with today's music should enable you to produce something truly fab.
- Produced by Doug Rogers.
- Engineered by Ken Scott (Beatles/David Bowie/Elton John/Supertramp etc.).
- Includes authentic rare period guitars (acoustic and electric), basses, drums, keyboards, stringed and other misc instruments.
- The same kind of microphones were used to record all instruments (Neumann/AKG/Cole/STC).
- The same kind of period amplifiers - Fender Tan Showman (1963), Fender Bassman (1963), Vox AC30 (1963), Vox AC50 (1965), Vox Defiant (1966), Vox 730 (1966), Vox 7120 (1966), Fender Showman (1967), Fender DeLuxe (1967) - were used with the electric guitars.
- The same kind of recording desks and preamps, including a very rare EMI REDD tube desk, EMI TG12345 desk (the same kind of desk used to record "Abbey Road" and Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon"), and EMI REDD47 preamps, were used to record all instruments.
- The same kind of limiters (Fairchild) and compressors (rare EMI RS124 modified Altec) were used for dynamics control.
- The same kind of Studer J-37 tube 4-track was used to record everything.
- Baby I'm A Clavioline (Clavioline/Baldwin Amp).
- Bass Tripper (1963 Hofner 500 Bass).
- Because I'm A Harpsichord (Baldwin Electric Harpsichord/Baldwin Amp).
- Come To Bass (1964 Rickenbacker 4001S Bass).
- Come To Drums (1960 Ludwig Downbeat Kit).
- Come To Guitar Rhythm (1965 Epiphone Casino Electric Guitar/1967 Fender DeLuxe Amp).
- Come To Guitar Solo (1957 Les Paul Goldtop Electric Guitar/1963 Fender Bassman Amp).
- Day In The Drums (1960 Ludwig Downbeat Kit).
- Everybody's Got Guitar (1965 Epiphone Casino Electric Guitar/1966 Vox Defiant Amp).
- Fairchild Modulated Cymbals (Zildjian Cymbals).
- Fixing A Guitar Solo (1956 Fender Stratocaster Electric Guitar/1966 Vox Defiant Amp).
- Getting A Better Guitar (1951 Fender Telecaster Electric Guitar/1966 Vox 730 Amp).
- Get Back My Guitar (1965 Epiphone Casino Electric Guitar/1967 Fender Showman Amp).
- Help I'm A Snare (plus kit) (1960 Ludwig Downbeat Kit).
- Here Comes The Guitar (1966 Gibson J200 Acoustic picked).
- I'm Only A Backwards Guitar (1965 Epiphone Casino Electric Guitar/1966 Vox 7120 Amp).
- I Want Guitar (Epiphone Casino/Fender DeLuxe and Fender Strat/Fender Tan Showman/doubled).
- I Will Play A Guitar Solo (1966 Martin D28 with ADT).
- I'm A Blackbird (1966 Martin D28 Acoustic Guitar fingered and picked).
- In The End There Will Be Drums (1960 Ludwig Downbeat Kit).
- Let It Be Organ (Hammond B3 Organ).
- Lucy In The Lowery (Lowery Heritage Deluxe Organ).
- Lucy Lead Guitar (1956 Fender Stratocaster Electric Guitar with Leslie Speaker).
- Michelle Is A Guitar Solo (1965 Epiphone Casino Electric Guitar/1963 Fender Bassman Amp).
- Madonna Piano (Steinway B Piano).
- Miscellaneous (Claps, Tambourine, Cowbell, Screaming Girls).
- Nowhere Guitar (1956 Fender Stratocaster Electric Guitar/1963 Vox AC30).
- Party Guitar (Gretsch Tennessean Electric Guitar/1963 Vox AC50 Amp).
- Penny Snare (plus kit) (1960 Ludwig Downbeat Kit).
- Pepper Guitar (Gibson SG Guitar/1966 Vox Defiant Amp).
- Revostortion Guitar (1965 Epiphone Casino Electric Guitar/2 x REDD 47 Preamps).
- Roll Over Guitar (1959 Gretsch Country Gentleman Electric Guitar/1964 Vox AC100 Amp).
- Something Is A Guitar Solo (1957 Les Paul Goldtop Electric Guitar/1963 Fender Bassman Amp).
- Something Is A Rhythm Guitar (1951 Fender Telecaster Electric Guitar with Leslie Speaker).
- Strawberry Drums (1960 Ludwig Downbeat Kit).
- Strawberry Flutes (original sound licensed from www.mellotron.com).
- Swarmandel Forever (Swarmandel).
- Ticket To Guitar (Rickenbacker 360-12 Electric Guitar/1965 Vox AC50 Amp).
- Ticket To Drums (1960 Ludwig Downbeat Kit).
- We Can Work A Harmonium (Harmonium).
- With a Little Help From My Bass (1964 Rickenbacker 4001S Bass).
- Within A Sitar / Love You Sitar (Sitar).
- Within A Tabla (Tabla).
- What You're Drumming (1960 Ludwig Downbeat Kit).
- Yer Drums (1960 Ludwig Downbeat Kit in Small Room).