Audacity v1.3.6 Beta released
25th October 2008
The Audacity Team has announced the release of Audacity v1.3.6 (Beta) for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux/Unix. This release highlights new capabilities developed by students in Google Summer of Code (GSoC) 2008:
- FFmpeg support (downloadable separately) permits import and export of a much wider range of file formats, including WMA, M4A and AC3, plus import of audio from video files.
- On-demand loading of uncompressed files eliminates the wait before files can be played or edited.
- Linked audio and label tracks allow labels to move with their corresponding audio when cutting, pasting or changing speed or tempo.
- Hierarchical plug-in grouping for built-in plug-ins.
- Other experimental features: Sound activated recording; ability to save smaller, compressed project files; MIDI files can now be imported, cut-and-paste edited, then exported.
- Miscellaneous: Interface improvements include a new Transport menu, and a new Preference to choose Waveform, Spectrum or Pitch view. Several bug fixes.
Because it is a work in progress and does not yet come with complete documentation or translations into foreign languages, it is recommended for more advanced users. For all users, Audacity 1.2.6 is a stable release, complete and fully documented. You can have Audacity 1.2.6 and 1.3.6 installed on the same machine.
KVR Audio, Inc.