In 2009, Akai Professional partnered with the creators of Ableton Live and introduced the original Ableton Performance Controller. Akai Pro now unveils the re-imagined APC40 mkII along with two compact Ableton Live controllers—APC Key 25 and APC mini.
Akai Pro's flagship Ableton Live controller, the new APC40 mkII, incorporates five years of user feedback into its design for extended functionality, countless musical capabilities, and improved workflow. The APC40 mkII features a 5x8 RGB LED clip-launching matrix, assignable A/B crossfader, 8 rotary knobs, 8 channel faders, and a send button for quick access to send busses. Included with the APC40 mkII is a suite of software, samples, and loops for out-of-the-box electronic music production: Toolroom artist launch packs, Prime Loops sample packs, Hybrid 3 by AIR Music Technology, and SONiVOX Twist give users endless music production possibilities with hand-selected samples & loops and high-definition virtual synthesizers. The APC40 mkII is USB-powered and supports plug-and-play.
APC Key 25 is a controller designed for Ableton Live equipped with a high-performance keyboard. Uniting the power of a clip-launching panel with a keyboard interface, the APC Key 25 couples real-time control of Ableton Live with traditional composition tools. The controller includes 25 synth-action mini keys, a 5x8 clip-launch matrix with tri-color visual feedback, 8 control knobs, USB power, and plug-and-play connectivity. The APC Key 25 comes mapped to Ableton, but can also be used as an all-purpose MIDI controller.
APC mini is Akai Pro's most portable all-in-one Ableton controller solution. Engineered for the mobile musician or producer, APC mini concentrates the essential features of the APC40 mkII into a space-saving design. An expanded 8x8 multicolor clip-launching grid, 8 channel faders, and a compact chassis provide unprecedented hands-on control over Ableton Live with a small footprint. The APC mini is also USB-powered and supports plug-and-play.
APC Series Highlights:
- Ableton Live integration—seamlessly integrates 1 to 1 with Ableton Live.
- USB-powered and class compliant—no power adapter required.
- Ableton Live Lite—music creation software from Ableton included.
APC40 mkII Highlights:
- 5x8 RGB LED clip matrix—launches clips with visual feedback.
- 8 channel faders, 1 master fader, and 8 device controls—map to Ableton Live directly.
- Intuitive layout—revised knob layout with in-line controls for smarter workflow.
- A/B crossfader—can be assigned on the fly for dynamic mixing.
- Send button—press and hold Send and use the Track Selects to choose one of 8 sends.
- Music production content—Toolroom artist launch packs, Prime Loops sample packs, Hybrid 3 by AIR Music Technology & SONiVOX Twist.
APC Key 25 Highlights:
- Ableton Live controller with keyboard—25 synth-action mini keys.
- Tri-color clip matrix—launches clips and multicolor lighting displays clip status.
- 8 assignable control knobs—hands-on-control of any Ableton Live parameter.
- Octave Up, Octave Down, and Sustain—expands keyboard range and expression.
- Music production content—Toolroom artist launch packs, Hybrid 3 by AIR Music Tech & SONiVOX Twist.
APC mini Highlights:
- Tri-color clip matrix—8x8 grid launches clips and multicolor lighting displays clip status.
- 8 channel faders & 1 master fader—provide hands-on-control of Ableton.
- Compact construction—portable design for mobile performers and producers.
- Music production content—Toolroom artist launch packs & Hybrid 3 by AIR Music Tech.
Akai Professional Product Manager Dan Gill notes, "The APC40 was the original performance controller designed for Ableton Live and has become an essential instrument for Ableton Live users. Now we are able to deliver three new APC instruments for musicians, composers, and mobile performers that allow comprehensive, hands-on control of Ableton Live in any performance or production environment."
Pricing & Availability
The APC40 mkII, APC Key 25, and APC mini will be available in Summer 2014, distributed worldwide with the following street prices:
- APC40 mkII ($399.99).
- APC Key 25 ($129.99).
- APC mini ($99.99).
Akai Professional will unveil the APC40 mkII, APC Key 25, and APC Mini at Musikmesse, Hall 5.1, Booth B45, March 12-15 in Frankfurt, Germany.
For more information, visit: akaipro.com/messe2014.