22nd September 2009
Apple has updated Logic Pro and Logic Express to v9.0.1. This update improves overall stability and provides numerous fixes and enhancements.
One of the enhancements in this update is integration of Novation's Automap. This full integration means that instrument settings and plug-in parameters inside Logic can now all be accessed from all Automap-enabled controllers, such as Novation's new Nocturn Keyboard, an SL MkII MIDI controller, or an Apple iPhone or iPod touch running the Automap app.
Now, when using an Automap-enabled Novation MIDI controller with the latest version of Logic, the mapping of the knobs, faders and buttons automatically adapts to the plug-in that's in focus on the screen. What's more, with Novation's SL MkII series of controllers, Logic's parameter names appear on the LCDs, giving you labelled visual feedback next to the controls on your hardware.
Currently, the parameter mappings have not been optimised for Logic, however, thanks to Automap's easy-to-use graphical user interface, you can customise and save the settings that best suit your workflow, then upload them to the Novation website user area.
Novation says that mappings for Logic's key plug-ins will be included with an imminent update to Automap 3.
Some issues addressed include (but are not limited to):
- Replace mode now functions as expected when Punch Recording.
- Trimming a region now behaves correctly for regions whose first transient is quantized.
- Using "Paste at Original Position" in the Arrange window now works as expected.
- Using track import Replace to channel strip used on multiple tracks in the Arrange window now works as expected.
- Correct automation values are now maintained when one region is moved over another with the "Move Automation with Regions" option.
- Addresses an issue where the Save button on a Logic/Mackie Control stays lit when pressed with some projects.
- The Reassign Track shortcut menu now correctly displays the currently assigned channel strip object.
- Text Only mode for the Toolbar now remains in effect when an option is clicked on the Toolbar.
- MIDI commands can now be assigned to key commands with fixed assignments.
- Clicking solo on a channel strip no longer selects the channel strip.
- Fixes an issue where Logic would quit unexpectedly if the grid value in the Hyper Edit Convert Event definition dialog was changed.
- MIDI regions now play at the correct tempo when scrubbed with the Solo tool.
- Current project Mixer settings are now correctly maintained when importing tracks with "Send all fader values" enabled.
- EXS24 now correctly displays all parameters in Editor view for instruments created in Logic 8.
- Logic no longer quits unexpectedly in recording situations where both a MIDI and audio track are record enabled and the MIDI track is not selected.
Enhancements implemented include:
- It is now possible to measure and provide latency compensation for an external signal chain that is routed via the I/O plug-in.
- You can now snap align Flex Markers to MIDI notes within other tracks in the Arrange window.
- The Automap feature for Novation MIDI controllers now functions when using the Logic Studio plug-ins.
- Apogee's UV-22 dithering algorithm now an option when bouncing audio files.