Version 3.1.10 of Ardour is now available for download for Linux (the OS X release will be out soon). Version 3.0 was released a few weeks ago.
A packaging error caused 3.1 to be lacking all translations into languages other than English. 3.1.10 was released to fix this.
Improvements and New Functionality:
- MIDI channel control expanded:
- separate controls for input and output handling.
- can now filter out MIDI channels on input or playback.
- can now record all MIDI channels to a fixed channel (per track).
- can force playback of all MIDI channels to a fixed channel (per track).
- now managed via a popup window.
- track header just provides summary of channel control state.
- Freesound improvements:
- Add a 'More' button to load the next page of results without clearing the already-found list.
- Don't allow cancellation of searches, and don't update progress bar around searches, since we only get one page at a time now.
- Show number of pages of results remaining to download in the tooltip of the 'More' button.
- Stop bad things happening when clicking in the Freesound search results list while a search or file download is already in progress.
- Make the 'Stop' button insensitive except when it will actually stop the download of a sound file.
- Only retrieve one page worth of data per search, rather than looping to get all pages.
- Don't show an error in the log window if the user cancelled download.
- Request 100 items per page, rather than the default 30.
- support for the Non Session Manager (NSM) session protocol.
- treat file names ending in .midi as well as .mid (case-insensitive) as MIDI files.
- correctly handle multiple export files with the same extension (e.g. WAV) but different formats (the format name is appended to the filename).
- when searching for various kinds of files, expand "~" if it is found in the search path, following POSIX conventions (~ => home folder/directory).
- dynamically update plugin menus when "Hide" is used in plugin manager so that it is not necessary to restart Ardour to see the result.
- make 0 and keypad-0 keys reset the mono panner, to match stereo panner.
- add export track output option to stem export dialog.
- use LILV state API to load LV2 presets, thus supporting presets that have extra information associated with them.
- improve error reporting when realpath(2) fails.
- document -a (no announcements) option on man page.
Drag-n-Drop Fixes and Improvements:
- fix drag and drop from region list so that it actually works, even though it is not as pretty as it was.
- allow Drag-n-Drop onto the blank track area of the editor once again.
- correctly indicate during drag-n-drop where a drop is possible and where it isn't (though the clarity of this depends a bit on your desktop environment).
- correctly honor ctrl/command modify during drag-n-drop (to indicate copy vs. embed).
- always import (copy) MIDI files since Ardour considers them writable.
- correctly handle drag-n-drop of mixed file types (audio & MIDI).
- create "been here before" file even if a first time user doesn't modify the default configuration options.
- fix crash on some systems during fetching announcements from ardour.org.
- fix incorrect listing of MIDNAM files in the event of the user having their own private set of them in addition to those supplied with Ardour.
- fix mishanding of LXVST (and windows VST) plugin names where the path includes a directory with a period/dot in its name such as ~/.lxvst.
- fix crash when deleting non-existent plugin presets.
- fix crash when using multiply-nested compound regions.
- fix undo/redo of deletion of note, patch change and sysex events.
- make track header faders insensitive to vertical scroll wheel events (again).
- make MIDI clock synchronization work (again).
- Don't include unselected regions in edit grouped region operations.
- Ignore track selection if there are any selected regions.
- fix behaviour when switching into automation write mode while the transport is moving.
- "Hide All" in editor track list functions more consistently.
- Tracks/busses created from templates get names based on the user-supplied value, if given.
Major New Features:
- MIDI recording, playback and editing, including plugin instrument support for LV2, VST and AudioUnits.
- Parallelization of DSP operations to use any number of processors.
- Matrix-style patching/routing.
- Overhauled export system (multiple formats at once, stem exports, multichannel exports).
New & Improved Audio Signal Handling:
- Monitor section.
- Solo operation redesigned, includes Solo Isolate and correct AFL/PFL modes.
- Per-channel visible phase invert buttons.
- Internal aux sends and explicit aux busses.
- Improved send control.
- Stereo panning via width+position.
- Track/Bus groups extended.
- Option for Automation moves with Regions.
- Rhythm Ferret improvements.
- Vertical stacking of overlapping regions in tracks.
- Non-destructive, non-overlapping recording mode.
- New region editing features.
- Strip Silence.
- Media search path.
New & Improved GUI details:
- Session overview pane.
- Unified processor list (plugins, sends, returns etc).
- Extended Region list.
- Extended Track/Bus list.
- Improved and expanded editor cursor set.
- Dynamically resizable big clock window.
- New and improved preferences dialog(s).
- New editing implementation for clocks.
- MIDI binding maps.
- Dramatically improved Mackie Control support.
- Linear Timecode support.
- Improved MTC chase.
- MIDI Clock chase.
- 64-bit timeline.
- Dynamically resizable disk buffers.
- JACK Session support.
- Undo system internals use less memory and improve speed.