18th December 2011
The Oberheim SEM V is designed to faithfully reproduce the warm sound and elegant interface of the Synthesizer Expander Module, one of the most iconic analog synthesizers, developed by Oberheim Electronics in 1974.
The SEM V modules were entirely redesigned after the most recent evolutions in TAE, Arturia’s proprietary technology that recreates analog modules after their detailed electronic circuitry. The result of this lengthy project is a faithful virtual instrument that delivers the same acoustic properties as the original.
Like all components of the SEM V, the two oscillators were recreated by respecting 100% of the properties of the original circuit. They replicate the exact sawtooth and variable-width pulse waveforms present in the original. On a control level, the SEM V interface also duplicates the behavior of the dual-concentric knobs for coarse and fine-tuning, this last parameter being easily accessible via right-click.
The 12dB/octave multimode filter is one of the most remarkable modules in the SEM. In many ways, it helped define the sonic identity of Oberheim because it shaped a diverse range of sounds that were almost impossible to get on other synthesizers. The SEM V carefully models the four modes of the filter (low-pass, high-pass, notch and band-pass) with attention to detail, meaning that you can either switch to bandpass or sweep through the other three modes by turning the knob clockwise.
ADS Envelopes and Modulations
The particular response of the ADS envelopes is accurately reproduced, as well as the VCF Mixer, Modulation knobs and switches, allowing you to nail any of the classic SEM tones.
The SEM V adds a few tricks to the original model, that considerably increase the sonic possibilities and allow the demanding musician to push the boundaries of the Oberheim sound a little further:
- Polyphony and 8 Voice multi-timbrality inspired by the 2, 4, and 8 voice models.
- White Noise, to mix into your ethereal pads and FX sounds.
- Sub Oscillator with sawtooth and sine waves, for added growl and bottom end.
- LFO 2 with sine, sawtooth and square waves, for more complex modulations.
- Professional Effects (overdrive, Delay, Chorus), to directly process your sounds on-board.
- Arpeggiator, for instant basslines and inspiring melodic patterns.
- Portamento to unlock more expression in your playing.
New Exclusive Modules
The SEM V also brings 3 new-generation modules offering a unique and contemporary sound palette:
- Keyboard Follow. The intuitive Keyboard follow lets the user draw modulation curves on the fly. You can map up to 6 parameters of your choice, guaranteeing a maximum expression of playing on your MIDI keyboard.
- Voice Programmer Inspired by the multi-timbrality of the Oberheim 2, 4 and 8 voice, the Voice Programmer is a powerful module on which you can edit no less than 7 additional virtual SEM voices. Unlike the repetitive manipulations on hardware SEM, the Voice Programmer makes programming a breeze thanks to its ergonomic interface. Whether you want to play spectral pads or complex sequences, this module will allow you to reach amazing sonic results in no time.
- Modulation Matrix The SEM V Modulation Matrix offers 8 simultaneous modulations which you can set between 8 different sources and more than 25 destinations.
Price: $249.00 / €229.00 in the Arturia online store and at your favorite Arturia dealer.
Works in Standalone, VST 2.4 & 3, 64 bit & 32 bit, RTAS and AU 32 & 64 bit formats.
Compatible with Windows (XP/Vista/Seven 32 bit and 64 bit), Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.5 or higher, Intel only).
19 Nov 2013 Arturia releases KeyLab Keyboard Controllers
02 Nov 2013 Arturia Holiday Season Deals
24 Oct 2013 Arturia releases MicroBrute Analog Synthesizer
15 Oct 2013 Arturia releases iSEM for iPad
05 Apr 2013 Arturia ships Spark EDM and EDM Expansion Pack
01 Apr 2013 Arturia releases iMini for iPad
14 Nov 2012 Arturia releases SPARK DubStep