4th September 2013
Audio Poison has released a Release Candidate of Stagger for Windows and Mac OS X in VST and AU formats with a 40% discount until September 11th, 2013.
Stagger is a multi-filter / multi-effect designed with step sequencing in mind similar to old drum machines everybody used to use before the days of virtual instruments. Stagger "frees your mind to ascertain whatever kind of direction your mind can imagine for controlling modulation which in turn allows for your creative process to truly run free".
Right now Stagger contains a total of 60 filters and effects built on a propriety DSP library that has been built from the ground up. You can use any of these filters and effects individually or combine them like as building blocks by layering them together in combination, with a total of 4 layers, any way you see fit. Likewise, you also get to do this 16x over with support for up to 16 patterns. Similarly, these patterns can be configured to cycle at variable speeds. As well, all of these layers and patterns have built in support for copy & pasting them both as individual layers or all of the layers grouped together into different patterns.
For each filter type, you get a variety of realizations and styles, which can be further combined with an assortment of devilish modulators (FM, PM, AM-DSB, AM-SSB, AM, RING), distortions and several delay line effects.
Here is a run down on what is available:
- First and second order filters designed from analog prototypes (primarily sallen-key derived, as well as state variable filters). These include all your basic filter types including low pass, high pass, notch, peak and band pass filters.
- RF modulators including FM, PM, AM, AM-DSB and AM-SSB, as well as wave shaping algorithms for several different kinds of distortion (RTM will include additional modulators).
- Various pre-made filter/effect combinations which include various modulators, distortions, and delay line effects.
- Intelligent, groupable series and parallel routing capabilities.
- Automatic mixing w/ perceptual weighting (to prevent layer based attenuation standard summation / averaging).
- Step sequencer, with variable speeds, designed completely with usability in mind.
- 16 patterns, each with 4 layers, with additional copy/paste functionality for individual/combined layers.
List of available effects (which can be used as building blocks): TREMOLO, STEREO PAN, LPF 12DB, LPF24DB, LPFSVF1, LPFFUZZ, LPFGRUNGE, LPFCOMB, LPFCOLOR, LPFDOUBLER, LPFSLAPBACK, HPF SVF1, HPF FUZZ, HPF GRUNGE, HPF COMB, HPF COLOR, HPF DOUBLER, HPF SLAPBACK, HPF 12DB, HPF 24DB, HPF AMDSB, HPF AMSSB, NOTCH, FORMANT, FORMANT AMDSB, FORMANT AMSSB, PEAK SVF, PEAK BIQUAD, BPF SVF1, BPF AMDSB, BPF AMSSB, BPF EXCITED, BPF GRUNGE, BPF THIN, RESONATOR, DELAY MOD, FLANGER, VIBRATO, ECHO, STEREO ECHO, SLAPBACK, RING MOD, FM MOD, PM MOD, AM DSB, AM SSB, AM MOD, RESAMPLER, DISTORT, DISTORT2, DISTORT3, REVERB.
Pricing & Availability
You can get Stagger early with a 40% discount while the release candidate is finalized. However, the retail cost for Stagger is set to be $80. Additionally, a demo will be made available when it becomes available.
Right now Stagger has been developed with support for:
- Windows: VST (32-bit).
- Mac OS X: Audio Unit, VST (32-bit and 64-bit, OS X 10.6+).
*AAX and RTAS support, as well as TDM versions will be released shortly.
Demonstration videos can be found at www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=383022
Stagger is available at http://www.audiopoison.com/products/stagger.