15th January 2009
Cakewalk has announced a new line of four cable-based interfaces designed to easily connect musical instruments and other components to a computer.
The three MIDI interface and one audio interface hardware solutions introduced today are compact, affordable products for a wide range of digital music creators — from hobbyists to professionals — who need to connect multiple instruments, MIDI devices, or other equipment to a computer.
Each product will have a MSRP of under $100 and be usable with both Mac OS X and Windows. They are all USB-bus powered, requiring no AC adaptor and affording users enhanced mobility for recording on the go.
"We're very excited to be able to introduce these powerful and easy-to-use, consumer-focused hardware products," said Greg Hendershott, Cakewalk's Founder and CEO. "These new products will complement our well-established software product line and help us provide musicians and music lovers alike the tools they need throughout the entire process, from creation to recording to publishing."
The new UM-1G, UM-2G, and UM-3G MIDI interfaces are designed to be affordable solutions to easily connect MIDI devices with a computer through a USB connection. Each MIDI interface:
- Is a compact, cable-style interface with a sleek form factor.
- Is Mac and PC compatible.
- Conveniently incorporates an independent MIDI OUT/THRU hardware selection switch for each output, providing functionality even if your computer is turned off.
- Provides FPT (Fast Processing Technology) for fast, stable MIDI data transmission, as well as lower latency performance through FPT's Advance Driver mode.
- Offers standard OS-based driver mode for instant connection to computers even when drivers are not available.
Other highlights of the new MIDI Interfaces include:
- 1-In/1-Out MIDI port (male), with LED indicators for MIDI I/O signal monitoring.
- MIDI Check switch for quick troubleshooting of MIDI connections.
- MIDI cables are engraved with "Connect to MIDI In" and "Connect to MIDI Out" labels for no confusion when connecting devices.
- Perfect for hobbyists who want to connect a MIDI keyboard to a computer, or musicians who need MIDI connectivity to control or record music with a computer.
- Ideal for small studios or academic settings where only one MIDI device will be connected in close proximity to the computer.
- In live performance settings, use the UM-1G to control a synth, drum machine, MIDI light set-up, or master recording console.
- Features 2-In/2-Out MIDI ports (female), 32 channels of MIDI to control hardware and software.
- Provides ability to connect multiple MIDI keyboards, sound modules, control surfaces, and other devices to a computer.
- Ideal for musicians, producers or recording engineers with more than one MIDI device in a small studio or portable MIDI configuration.
- 3-In/3-Out MIDI Ports (female).
- Controls up to 48 channels of MIDI equipment.
- Expandable design allows you to daisy-chain up to three UM-3G interfaces providing nine total MIDI inputs and outputs without the need for additional USB Ports.
- Advanced Driver mode uses FPT (Fast Processing Technology) to ensure low-latency, even with three UM-3G interfaces daisy-chained together.
- Up to 3 units can be rack mounted via Roland RAF-70 kit, available separately.
- Ideal MIDI interface for the mid- to larger-sized studio.
- Out or Thru selectable switches built-in; select between MIDI Out and MIDI Thru for each output port.
- Great for live settings using multiple MIDI applications, including traditional instruments, synths, sequencers and live sound, lighting, and special effects.
The UA-1G is a compact 1 Stereo In/1 Stereo Out USB Audio Interface that offers excellent-quality sound via multiple connection options and a simple, user-friendly design. Highlights include:
- 24-bit/96kHz audio quality.
- Low latency ASIO 2.0 performance (PC); UA-1G is also WDM (Windows Vista, Windows XP) and Core Audio (Mac OS X) compatible.
- Large Input Level knob for easy control while recording.
- Includes Cakewalk's SONAR LE digital audio workstation for high-quality music recording, mixing, editing, and publishing.
- Contains high-end A/D and D/A converters for accurate recording and playback.
- An electret condenser microphone input, similar to, but higher quality than the "MIC-IN" on most internal soundcards.
- Headphone output with volume control to quickly and easily listen to audio from your computer.
- A 1/4" jack with Hi-Z switch option which is ideal for recording high-impedance instruments like electric guitar or bass.
- S/PDIF optical I/O.
- Perfect for use with a laptop in mobile or portable environments, whether it's the tour bus, hotel lobby, rehearsal studio or and even at home.
- Hobbyists can use the UA-1G to record tapes or vinyl to a computer, or for higher-quality audio connection of their computer to their home entertainment system.
Cakewalk will ship the UM-1G and UM-2G to retailers in the US beginning in March, 2009. The UM-3G USB MIDI Interface and the UA-1G USB Audio Interface will begin shipping in April, 2009.