15th January 2009
Cakewalk has announced a new line of four cable-based interfaces designed to easily connect musical instruments and other components to a computer.
The three MIDI interface and one audio interface hardware solutions introduced today are compact, affordable products for a wide range of digital music creators — from hobbyists to professionals — who need to connect multiple instruments, MIDI devices, or other equipment to a computer.
Each product will have a MSRP of under $100 and be usable with both Mac OS X and Windows. They are all USB-bus powered, requiring no AC adaptor and affording users enhanced mobility for recording on the go.
"We're very excited to be able to introduce these powerful and easy-to-use, consumer-focused hardware products," said Greg Hendershott, Cakewalk's Founder and CEO. "These new products will complement our well-established software product line and help us provide musicians and music lovers alike the tools they need throughout the entire process, from creation to recording to publishing."
The new UM-1G, UM-2G, and UM-3G MIDI interfaces are designed to be affordable solutions to easily connect MIDI devices with a computer through a USB connection. Each MIDI interface:
- Is a compact, cable-style interface with a sleek form factor.
- Is Mac and PC compatible.
- Conveniently incorporates an independent MIDI OUT/THRU hardware selection switch for each output, providing functionality even if your computer is turned off.
- Provides FPT (Fast Processing Technology) for fast, stable MIDI data transmission, as well as lower latency performance through FPT's Advance Driver mode.
- Offers standard OS-based driver mode for instant connection to computers even when drivers are not available.
Other highlights of the new MIDI Interfaces include:
- 1-In/1-Out MIDI port (male), with LED indicators for MIDI I/O signal monitoring.
- MIDI Check switch for quick troubleshooting of MIDI connections.
- MIDI cables are engraved with "Connect to MIDI In" and "Connect to MIDI Out" labels for no confusion when connecting devices.
- Perfect for hobbyists who want to connect a MIDI keyboard to a computer, or musicians who need MIDI connectivity to control or record music with a computer.
- Ideal for small studios or academic settings where only one MIDI device will be connected in close proximity to the computer.
- In live performance settings, use the UM-1G to control a synth, drum machine, MIDI light set-up, or master recording console.
- Features 2-In/2-Out MIDI ports (female), 32 channels of MIDI to control hardware and software.
- Provides ability to connect multiple MIDI keyboards, sound modules, control surfaces, and other devices to a computer.
- Ideal for musicians, producers or recording engineers with more than one MIDI device in a small studio or portable MIDI configuration.
- 3-In/3-Out MIDI Ports (female).
- Controls up to 48 channels of MIDI equipment.
- Expandable design allows you to daisy-chain up to three UM-3G interfaces providing nine total MIDI inputs and outputs without the need for additional USB Ports.
- Advanced Driver mode uses FPT (Fast Processing Technology) to ensure low-latency, even with three UM-3G interfaces daisy-chained together.
- Up to 3 units can be rack mounted via Roland RAF-70 kit, available separately.
- Ideal MIDI interface for the mid- to larger-sized studio.
- Out or Thru selectable switches built-in; select between MIDI Out and MIDI Thru for each output port.
- Great for live settings using multiple MIDI applications, including traditional instruments, synths, sequencers and live sound, lighting, and special effects.
The UA-1G is a compact 1 Stereo In/1 Stereo Out USB Audio Interface that offers excellent-quality sound via multiple connection options and a simple, user-friendly design. Highlights include:
- 24-bit/96kHz audio quality.
- Low latency ASIO 2.0 performance (PC); UA-1G is also WDM (Windows Vista, Windows XP) and Core Audio (Mac OS X) compatible.
- Large Input Level knob for easy control while recording.
- Includes Cakewalk's SONAR LE digital audio workstation for high-quality music recording, mixing, editing, and publishing.
- Contains high-end A/D and D/A converters for accurate recording and playback.
- An electret condenser microphone input, similar to, but higher quality than the "MIC-IN" on most internal soundcards.
- Headphone output with volume control to quickly and easily listen to audio from your computer.
- A 1/4" jack with Hi-Z switch option which is ideal for recording high-impedance instruments like electric guitar or bass.
- S/PDIF optical I/O.
- Perfect for use with a laptop in mobile or portable environments, whether it's the tour bus, hotel lobby, rehearsal studio or and even at home.
- Hobbyists can use the UA-1G to record tapes or vinyl to a computer, or for higher-quality audio connection of their computer to their home entertainment system.
Cakewalk will ship the UM-1G and UM-2G to retailers in the US beginning in March, 2009. The UM-3G USB MIDI Interface and the UA-1G USB Audio Interface will begin shipping in April, 2009.
16 Apr 2014 Cakewalk Offers Discounted Upgrades to SONAR X3
20 Mar 2014 Cakewalk releases SONAR X3e Update
12 Mar 2014 Cakewalk Announces SONAR X3e Update
21 Feb 2014 Cakewalk releases Z3TA+ for iOS
05 Jan 2014 Cakewalk SONAR X3 now available on Steam
18 Dec 2013 Cakewalk releases Free SONAR X3d Update
02 Dec 2013 Cakewalk releases ScratchPad for iPad
31 Oct 2013 Cakewalk releases SONAR X3c Update
22 Oct 2013 Cakewalk announces SONAR X3c Update
19 Sep 2013 Cakewalk seeks to hire Plug-in Developer
18 Jun 2013 Cakewalk Z3ta+ 2 Promo: 30% Off