28th February 2014
CANATO recently released version 2.6 of MidiYodi, a lightweight MIDI examiner, editor and player software application that allows exploring MIDI file contents from entire folders as well as detailed MIDI file examination, editing and playback.
MidiYodi costs $9.95 and is available on Windows, Mac and Unix.
It contains a rich set of features such as:
MIDI File Examination
MIDIYodi provides various tools to examine the layout and content of a MIDI file.
- MIDI File Explorer: Scans entire folders for MIDI files and for each file displays information such as type, number of tracks, available instruments, song duration, tempo, key- and time signatures.
- Song and Tracks Overview: Displays the rolled-out contents of a MIDI file including a measure bar and all its tracks. Each track displays miniature 'notes', instrument and a volume curve. In addition meta events such as markers, tempos, time signatures and key signatures are visualized.
- Keyboard Examiner: Displays all notes for a track in a keyboard like viewer.
- Score Examiner: Displays all notes for a track in a score like viewer.
- Event Examiner: Displays all events for a track including event position (beat, time and tick), category (meta, voice or system), type (note on/off, program change etc) and value.
MIDI File Editing
MIDIYodi offers a rich set of tools to edit the content and structure of a MIDI file.
- Single track files (type 0) can be "trackified" and converted (type 1).
- Song can be transposed in half-tones up or down and individual tracks can be transposed in 8va's.
- Tempo can be altered.
- Tracks can have their name, instrument and volume changed.
- Tracks can be removed.
- Sections of the song can be cut out.
- Any MIDI event (meta, voice or system) can be added or updated.
- Voice events can be moved from one channel to another.
- Save, Save As and Undo/Redo functionality included.
MIDI File Playback
MIDIYodi offers several navigation and playback controls.
- Controls to start and pause playback in a tape recorder fashion.
- Selected sections of a song can be played in auto-repeat mode.
- Quick navigation by clicking anywhere in the song or jump to the next/previous marker, tempo-, time signature- or key signature change.
- Controls to Mute or Solo any track.
MIDIYodi offers some useful and nice customization features.
- Default examiner (displayed when a track is double-clicked) selection.
- Color theme selection.
- Language selection.
- MIDI Output device selection.
- Default MIDI-file to load when MIDIYodi is launched.
- Remembers the directory where you last opened a MIDI file.