23rd July 2014
New features for both N4 SE & Pro:
- 64-bit: There are now 64-bit versions of the Numerology App, ReWire driver and Plugins. Numerology can run equally well in 32-bit or 64-bit modes.
- RTA Recording: There is a new realtime automation feature for recording and loop-playback of gestures from MIDI and OSC controllers as a pattern is playing. RTA loops can be up to 64 beats long and recording can be set to fixed lengths or looped on-the-fly. N4 SE is limited to 4 concurrent RTA tracks. There is an RTA Report dialog for viewing what RTA tracks are active at any time. From that dialog they can be muted or deleted.
- The Browser: There is a new integrated browser for Modules, Stacks, Audio Files & MIDI Files. You can browse module presets, stacks, AU preset files and audio & MIDI files. Module presets and stacks can be loaded via drag-&-drop. Audio files can be previewed and added to a project via drag-&-drop as well. The browser displays both factory-installed modules & stacks as well as user created modules, stacks and other file types. You can directly insert a new module from a preset file by dragging it into a stack. You can load a module preset onto an existing module of the same type by dropping the module preset file on top of the target module. There is an auto-load function for quickly auditioning module presets and audio files.
- Drag & Drop Export for Module Presets: There is a new 'floppy' icon on each module's header. By clicking on it then dragging it to the Browser, you can export that modules's settings as a preset file.
- Preset Length: Numerology's Stack Presets can now have an assigned length in beats. That length can be used for quantizing preset changes in time, and the preset playlist's.
- 'play length' settings are now calibrated in 'preset lengths', which makes it much easier to build simple arrangements.
- The Timeline can now record preset changes in realtime. It also has much-improved zooming with zoom in/out buttons, more natural zoom levels, and more zooming range overall. The timeline now has a draggable wiper, and you can control-click on a track to insert a preset block.
- MIDI Clips: All Numerology's stacks now have a built-in MIDI loop recorder that keeps track of all MIDI generated by a stack. These clips are can be exported to any app that can read MIDI files.
- There is a new Controller Setup dialog for managing MIDI & OSC controllers.
- N4 adds support for using multiple Launchpads at the same time, all varieties are supported: Launchpad, Launchpad S, Launchpad Mini.
- There is now support for the Ableton Push & OHM RGB, with all the same functions as the Launchpad mapping.
- Support for the Keyboard module from all grid controllers, (with velocity & pitch bend on the Push).
- 'Ableton Compatibility Mode' allows using a Launchpad with both Numerology and Ableton Live at the same time.
- There is now support for programming accidentals (pitch values not in the currently selected scale) in all grid controllers for the MonoNote and PolyNote sequencer modules.
- There is a new Transport Remote controller option with both OSC and MIDI variants.
Features specific to Numerology4 Pro:
- Undo/Redo: N4 Pro supports undo & redo for many common operations, along with an undo history dialog and up to 999 levels of undo.
- Track Delays: N4 Pro now has track delays on all tracks (a.k.a stacks), with automatic delay compensation for hosted plugins.
- N4 Pro has an all-new OSC implementation with support for Bonjour, multiple OSC sources, the ability to map 'multi-float' OSC messages to sequencer sliders, and much better overall compatibility with various OSC controller apps and message types.
- There is a new 'direct access' OSC messaging API for setting parameters and changing presets.
- OSC is now supported in the Numerology AU, AU MIDI Effect and VST plugins.
- There is now an OSC input module for converting OSC signals to Numerology's internal CV signal format.
Other features & updates:
- There are new 'heads-up' overlays when dragging modules within or into a stack to make it clear where the module will be inserted, or if it will be loaded as a preset.
- All user-generated files other than projects are now saved in folders created within ~/Music/Five12.
- The ChordSeq module has a new 'best-fit' algorithm for automatically choosing the correct chord type given a key, scale & base interval.
- Much better performance when loading and saving projects.
- Stack Preset Control via MIDI: There is now an option to turn on an 'auto-assignment' property in the Stack Detail dialog. This makes it easy to setup control of stack presets via MIDI Note On or Program Change messages.
- LFO & DualLFO: These modules now have automatic, sample-accurate tempo tracking for all beat-based frequency modes.
- LFO & DualLFO: 'Period' values for musically-based units (1/16, beat, bar) are now always quantized to integer values when using the slider, but you can still enter fractional values with the number box.
- LFO & DualLFO: There is a new 'wide mode' range setting for the LFO and DualLFO modules makes it easy to cover a very wide range of speeds with a single slider.
- Installation: There's a new 'integrated' installer script, along with preferences for whether the plugins and ReWire driver are installed.
- There is now a 'Check for Updates' menu option.
- Tooltips: Most modules & UI controls now have tooltips.
- Transport: There is now a dedicated Record button on the transport.
- 'Double Seq': All sequencers now have a single button that can be used to double the length of a sequence and 'copy out' the sequencer steps at the same time.
- Better handling of MIDI devices as they are added and removed.
- Numerology AU & VST: Spacebar events are now passed to the host.
- Documentation and the README.txt file can now be accessed via a 'Doc' menu.