Focusrite has announced the introduction of two new members of its Scarlett range of USB 2.0 audio interfaces: the Scarlett 18i8 (18 in, 8 out) and Scarlett 6i6 (6-in, 6-out). Both are aimed at recording artists, producers and bands and differ primarily in their I/O configuration. Both feature Focusrite mic pres, designed specifically for Focusrite's computer music interfaces, and Focusrite's renowned precision 24-bit/96kHz conversion for maximum transparency. In addition to Mac or Windows operation, both interfaces are compatible with iOS devices like the iPad (via an Apple iPad camera connection kit).
The Scarlett 18i8 is the first interface from Focusrite to include four mic preamps. It can also record up to four line inputs at the same time, making it perfect for recording an entire band live. An ADAT option allows the connection of external mic preamps such as the OctoPre Mk II, extending the number of mic pres to 12. The unit also includes S/PDIF I/O.
The Scarlett 6i6 is designed to allow recording on a smaller scale. In addition to two Focusrite mic preamps it features a stereo line input, making it possible to capture, for example, vocals, guitar and a digital piano at the same time. Both models feature the signature Scarlett range unibody metal chassis for road-ruggedness, and the unique 'signal halo' LED rings around the input controls that indicate green for a good level and red for overload. They also include two headphone outputs each with their own level controls; the headphone outputs on the 6i6 mirror the main and sub-outputs whereas on the 18i8 they are fully independent.
Scarlett 18i8 only:
- Four Focusrite mic pres: Focusrite's 25-years of design experience underpins this new interface with four preamps.
- 18 inputs and 8 outputs: All of the analogue and digital inputs you need for home multi-track recording. No need for breakout cables - every analogue input & output has a dedicated socket.
- Two independent headphone outputs each with a level control: With two fully independent headphone mixes the engineer and the artist can both listen to mix levels they need.
Scarlett 6i6 only:
- Two Focusrite mic pres: The two mic preamps are products of Focusrite's meticulous approach to preamp design.
- 6 inputs and 6 outputs: All of the analogue and digital inputs you need for home multi-track recording. No need for breakout cables - every analogue input & output has a dedicated socket.
- Two headphone outputs with level controls: With two headphone mixes the engineer and the artist can both listen to mix levels they need.
Scarlett 18i8 and 6i6 both have:
- High quality 24-bit 96kHz audio interfaces for Mac, PC and iPad: Both feature professional conversion technology guaranteeing pristine audio quality and reliable synchronization on Mac, PC and iPad (or any iOS device).
- Rugged metal unibody chassis: Whether you are in the studio or on the road your Scarlett will not only look great, but also withstand the impacts sustained by a mobile recording rig.
- Unique gain halos for safeguarding your levels: Unique gain halo indicators make it clear when you have a good signal for recording. When the halos are green you have a good level, and when they turn red it means you need to turn the gain down.
- Large main monitor control:A large main monitor control knob keeps your volume levels right at your fingertips.
- Scarlett MixControl ultra-low-latency DSP mixer and router: Scarlett MixControl provides a DSP mixer with flexible routing capabilities, intuitive one-click presets, and lower than 1.4 ms latency.
- Powerful software bundle: Scarlett comes with Ableton Live Lite, the Scarlett Plug-in Suite, Novation Bass Station soft synth and Loopmasters sample content.
Pricing & Availability:
- Available Worldwide from June 2013.
- Scarlett 6i6 MSRP $299.99 / $249.99 at dealers.
- Scarlett 18i8 MSRP $449.99 / $349.99 at dealers.