Focusrite has launched Forte, a portable two-input, four-output USB 2.0 audio interface that works with Mac OS X and Windows. It has two remote control mic preamps, as used in Focusrite's RedNet range of professional audio interfaces, and uses 24-bit/192kHz A-D/D-A converters.
Forte features a color OLED (Organic LED) display to indicate input and output signal levels, mic preamp gain and other useful information, with motion graphics giving the user detailed visual information. A single control knob operates in conjunction with touch-sensitive icon buttons to give the user complete control over input and output levels and DAW control parameters.
- Premium two-input, four-output USB 2.0 audio interface for Mac OS X and Windows.
- Best-in-class mic preamp performance with 75dB gain range (0-75dB).
- Class-leading real world ADC (117dB A-weighted) and DAC (118dB A-weighted).
- Colour OLED screen with motion graphics to show input and output signal levels.
- Multi-function touch icons and scroll wheel with DAW control functions.
In addition to providing a high quality signal path, Focusrite has paid particular attention to ergonomic design. A breakout cable with locking connector is used for microphone (XLR) and line/instrument (TRS) inputs, but balanced line and independent headphone outputs are provided on the unit itself, so the breakout cable is not required for playback-only applications. In addition, the mic and line-level inputs on the breakout cable are separate, meaning all inputs can be connected simultaneously, without having to re-patch when switching from one to the other.
The elegant aluminum case includes non-slip strips on the base to ensure that it is always stable during operation.
An external power supply is included with the unit, however Forte can also operate as a USB powered interface.