29th August 2012
Jordan Rudess, the keyboardist/Continuum-player/multi-instrumentalist for prog rock/metal icons Dream Theater, and chief programmer Kevin Chartier have released SpaceWiz for iOS.
Jordan explains, "We partnered with developer Tobias Miller to see if an otherworldly dream I had could be made into reality. He was able to bring it completely to life." Rudess and Miller worked together to create every unique sound and image. There are over 250 on-board instruments, as well as forty-five presets and access to control external MIDI instruments.
SpaceWiz allows the viewer to interact with and control their environment with the manipulation of their own fingers on the playing surface. Together with the built in Chaos and Satellite generators, they fabricate particles, which then collide into planets. The user can even add an onboard real time synthesizer with its independent set of sounds and parameters to create their sonic masterpiece. SpaceWiz will guide them on an audio-visual journey while they enjoy the sonic/visual wallpaper, or get busy and start throwing their own particles around the universe. Users can even try rolling the dice for total randomization and see what happens. For creators who want to play a larger role in their SpaceWiz experience, they have the opportunity to build their audio/visual world from the void.
- Chaos, Touch and Satellite controllers.
- Randomization of total system.
- Beat Sync.
- Tap Tempo.
- LowPass Filter with Resonance.
- HighPass Filter with Resonance.
- Time Warp.
- FX including Chorus, Delay and Reverb.
- 8 planets each assigned to its own timbre.
- Randomization of independent planets.
- Control the independent volume, rate, width, height, mass and bounce of each planet.
- Solo and Mute.
- Override Tonality.
- Pitch control according to Angle, X Position and Y Position of particle impact.
- Pan position with Auto Pan (which pans according to a planet's position on the grid).
- Tonality systems offering numerous scales, modes and chords.
- Custom Tonality (choose your own.).
Synth - The SW-3000 SpaceWiz synthesizer:
- 2 Oscillator synth with Sync.
- Filter Envelope.
- Amplitude Envelope.
- Filter with Resonance assignable to vertical axis.
- Separate configurable playing surface.
- Dedicated SW-3000 Chorus and Delay effects.
- Randomize Synthesizer.
29 Aug 2012 Jordan Rudess releases SpaceWiz
25 Mar 2011 Interview with Jordan Rudess