Kjaerhus Audio has announced MPL-1, a new High Precision Mastering Limiter plug-in for Windows and Mac OS X.
MPL-1 is a limiter plug-in made for mastering and other purposes where the highest accuracy and quality are demanded. The MPL-1 uses an oversampled peak detecting algorithm to ensure that even high frequency peaks are accurately detected. This results in better high-frequency performance and it ensures that no overshoot or clipping occurs in the final D/A conversion. Look-ahead and release-smoothing (soft release-hold) assist in keeping the compression smooth and transparent, even at high compression levels.
- screenshot (This screenshot is scanned from the promotional literature, which is why it is poor quality. The proper GUI is crisp and lovely, as you would expect)
The MPL-1 uses a new stereo linking technique that allows peaks to be limited individually on each channel, while longer lasting gain reductions are linked. This technique ensures that peaks in one channel do not produce artifacts in the other channel, while the average compression still remains the same in each channel to avoid disturbances in the stereo balance.
A PDR (Program Dependent Release) function is available to minimize pumping effects and increase loudness. The MPL-1 also offers TPDF-Dithering for 8, 16 and 24 bit output resolution. Four stereo meters show the peak input and output levels as well as compression and RMS-output.
The MPL-1 is available in standard and professional editions - the Pro edition allows the user to make adjustments to input levels, PDR, look-ahead, smoothing and stereo-link, plus offering MIDI Learn for remote parameter control.
- High-precision limiting with no overshoot.
- Maximum loudness and minimum pumping.
- Over-sampled peak detection with look-ahead.
- Release smoothing (soft release-hold).
- Stereo-link with unlinked peak limiting.
- Four stereo meters with peak-hold.
- AES17 compliant RMS output meter.
- TPDF-Dithering for 8, 16 and 24 bit resolution.
- A|B comparisons.
- Silent knobs.
- Low CPU usage.
- Support sampling rates up to 96kHz.
- VST automation.
- Detailed user manual.
Additional features for MPL-1 Pro:
- Parameter control through MIDI Learn.
- Input gain and balance adjustments.
- PDR (Program Dependent Release) adjustments.
- Look-ahead and smoothing time adjustments.
- Stereo-link time adjustment.
The Windows VST version of MPL-1 is expected to be released shortly, with the Mac OS X VST/AU version to follow at a later date. It is expected to cost $88 for the Standard Edition and $118 for the Pro Edition.