20th October 2010
KV331 Audio has announced the beta release of version 2.5 of its semi-modular synthesizer and effect plug-in SynthMaster.
With version 2.5, SynthMaster becomes a cross-platform plug-in running on Windows and Mac OS X operating systems in VST and AU formats. The latest version also introduces multiple skins, filter distortion, improved filter algorithms, new filter types, vector synthesis, 2D envelopes, online preset browser, modulation matrix, audio-to-MIDI triggering and improved effects.
SynthMaster 2.5 is the latest version of KV331 Audio's semi-modular synthesizer and effect plug-in SynthMaster. Since the release of SynthMaster 2.0 in December 2009, KV331 Audio have added the following major features to SynthMaster:
- Cross-platform VST & AU: SynthMaster 2.5 now runs as a VST instrument/effect on both Windows and Mac OS X, and as an Audio Unit instrument/effect on Mac OS X.
- Improved Filter Algorithms: The "analog" filter models have been improved to better model the analog ladder filter. The "digital" filters on the other hand have been rewritten from scratch for better VA sound.
- Before/After/Inside Filter Distortion: Custom distortion stage added into the filters so that signals can be distorted before, after or even inside the filter. With this flexibility, it is now possible to create screaming sounds using the filters in SynthMaster.
- "Multimode" Filters: With the new "multimode" filter type, it is now possible to switch from Lowpass to Bandpass to Highpass filter types continuously using the "filter mode" parameter. For analog multimode filters, it is even possible to change the slope of the filter continuously from 0 db/oct to 24 db/oct using the "continuous slope" parameter.
- "Dual" Filters: With the new "dual" filter type, it is now possible to run two multimode filters simultaneously, either in parallel, or in series. The mix ratios between the filters, and the topology (parallel/series) between them can be changed continuously, as well as the modes and cutoff frequencies of the filters.
- Vector Synthesis: A new "vector" oscillator type has been added to add support for vector synthesis in SynthMaster.
- 2D Envelopes: A new envelope generator type called "XY envelope" is added, so that line segments between points in 2 dimensions can be used to generate 2 dimensional envelope signals. XY Envelopes can be used not only for modulating "vector" oscillator x/y indexes, but also for all other voice parameters within SynthMaster.
- Audio2MIDI Triggering: A new "audio-in" oscillator type has been added so that the incoming audio signal in the effect version of SynthMaster can be passed through the processing blocks in SynthMaster. To trigger MIDI notes to turn on the oscillators&filters a new feature called "audio2MIDI triggering" is also added so that MIDI notes are triggered using the envelope of the incoming audio signal.
- Modulation Matrix: The modulation architecture has not changed since version 2.0, however user interface for modulation matrix has been added so that it's easier to edit modulations right within the modulation matrix UI.
- Online Preset Browser: Registered users can now upload their own presets to the online preset library, or browse and download presets created by other registered users; using the preset browser right inside the plug-in UI.
- Multiple Skins: SynthMaster 2.5 Beta comes with 3 different skins in different color variations. Using the included skin editor, users can customize the existing skins and create their own variations as well.
- Better Reverb: The reverb effect in SynthMaster 2.5 has been rewritten and now it is a high quality reverb with advanced parameters such as 2 band EQs for early/late reflections, early/late mix ratios, damping control, distance and room size.
- Better Delay: The delay effect in SynthMaster has been improved and now it contains a 2 band EQ and a custom distortion curve to filter and distort the delayed input signal.
- Better Distortion: The distortion effect in SynthMaster has been improved and now it contains 2 band EQs before/after the distortion stage and a custom distortion curve as well.
- Phaser & Ensemble Effects: 2 new layer effects have been added: Phaser and Ensemble. Phaser is a 4/8/12/16 stage phaser, while ensemble is a 1-2-3-4 stage chorus unit to create rich choruses.
Pricing and Availability
SynthMaster 2.5 Beta is available as an online download at the introductory beta price of $70 exclusively at KV331 Audio website. The introductory beta price offer will last until November 1st, 2010, and after then the regular retail price will be $99. Academic licensing is also available for students, teachers and academics for $49 ($35 until November 1st).
A demo version of SynthMaster 2.5 Beta is available for download at KV331 Audio website as well. The demo version is identical to the standard version except for three limitations:
- Saving presets as individual preset files is disabled.
- Mutes output and emits white noise every 60 seconds.
- Online preset browser features are disabled.
The full release version of SynthMaster 2.5 is expected to be announced in December 2010.
02 May 2013 KV331 Audio updates SynthMaster to v2.6.3
17 Apr 2013 KV331 Audio updates SynthMaster to v2.6.2
01 Apr 2013 SynthMaster Spring Sale: 20% off through April
18 Mar 2013 KV331 Audio Releases SynthMaster 2.6
12 Feb 2013 KV331 Audio updates Synthmaster to v184.108.40.206
06 Dec 2012 KV331 Audio updates SynthMaster to v220.127.116.11