31st October 2007
Magix has announced that Sequoia 10 and Samplitude 10 are now available.
New features in Sequoia 10 / Samplitude 10
Advanced track and object automation / master automation
At track level, you can use the following dynamic automation settings: Volume, panorama, AUX sends, EQs, and plug-in control elements.
- Unlimited number of automation curves per track.
- Volume automation now with 0 dB in the center of the track; upper track edge corresponds to +6 dB.
- At master level you can automate the volume, EQs, and VST plug-ins.
- The master track can be made visible in the arranger.
- New automation button in the mixer for volume automation of the stereo sum.
- At object level, you can automate the volume, AUX sends, and VST plug-ins.
New Cleaning & Restoration Suite (Sequoia & Samplitude Master)
The following new cleaning effects are available offline and as realtime effects:
- Declicker/Decrackler: The DeClicker removes crackling and clicking noises, which are typical on scratched records.
- Declipper: The DeClipper removes over modulation.
- DeNoiser with Noise Print Wizard: The DeNoiser removes annoying background noise from wave projects/objects.
New and extended mastering effects and dynamics
- Brilliance enhancer: The brilliance enhancer is a tool for compensating for loss of higher frequencies. Such a loss often occurs during MP3 compression or tape recording. In contrast to an equalizer, which only raises existing frequencies, the brilliance enhancer recalculates new overtones from the remaining signal and markedly refreshes the sound.
- Multiband Dynamics: When this option is selected the same internal processing routines are set as in the "Advanced Dynamics" module.
- Advanced Dynamics: If you use "Advanced Dynamics" as a track effect and it is not a track surround effect, the "Side Chain" button will appear. The activation of this option requests an external signal for calculating the internal control signal.
- Resampling / Timestretching: The "Universal HQ" algorithm offers good audio quality with almost any audio material. CPU power usage is, however, very high. For this reason, this algorithm is not very appropriate for realtime use with many simultaneously playing objects.
Overview mode represents all objects from your project in a clear fashion below the arranger tracks. Open Overview mode via the "View menu > Overview mode". To select the desired section, draw the appropriate lasso around the overview using the mouse. The selected section will then follow the scrollbars in the arranger. You can position the section by clicking on the desired location of the arranger. In one-track virtual projects (VIP) and WAV projects the waveform will be shown in Overview mode.
New range handling
- Range remains in Loop mode if the cursor is repositioned.
- Playback can be started before, or within the loop.
- In Loop mode, the entire project is looped if a range has not been selected.
- Range ends can be adjusted during playback as well.
- The play range can be deleted by dragging to size 0.
- The current range can be deleted by double clicking next to it.
Advanced ruler / time display
Use the context menu of the grid bar to switch on two grid bars in the arranger and set your own measurement unit (2. Show grid bar). Both grid bars can be changed (Change Grid). If you select Independent time format in the transport window, the upper grid will adapt to a chosen BPM grid, unlike the lower grid. This way it's possible to select an SMPTE format independent of the project frame rate and thereby get an overview of two different SMPTE displays.
MAGIX Plug-in Suites
Analog Modelling Suite: am-munition (Sequoia and Samplitude 10 Pro)
am-munition is a program compressor/limiter, using which you can spice up your mix and give it more kick. This mastering and dynamics tool makes your mix not only louder and adds definition, but can also be used as a limiter. In this process transients are conserved and a compact, but nonetheless loud signal is delivered. This occurs via a relatively slow serial compression and a soft clipping for the stray level peaks. am-munition is sidechain-capable and can also be employed for M/S processing.
Side Chain Routing
For advanced dynamics and VST/MAGIX plug-ins with more than two inputs you can now use sidechain routing at track and at master level. In the menu of a correspondingly equipped VST/MAGIX plug-in (e.g. am-munition) as well as in the Advanced Dynamics you can activate the sidechain and specify one or more of the previous tracks as the sidechain input(s). In the tracks which were set as the sidechain signals, the track name of the fed track will appear in the AUX section above the Send Level. Internally, a sidechain bus (AUX bus) is created. Right-clicking on the AUX send button selects this as "Sidechain send". The "Sidechain solo" function bypasses the corresponding effect and only the input of the sidechain is played. When closing the dialog, the "Sidechain solo" function is reset.
New "Tempo" menu with audio quantization
In the new "Tempo" menu you will find new commands for audio quantization alongside the tempo/beat markers and metronome settings. These are:
- Detect Transients
- Consolidate Transients
- Split at Transients
- Quantize Audio Object Positions
- Reset Audio Object Quantization
- Fill Object Gaps
These commands reflect the typical working procedure when "adapting" a multi-track drum recording to the VIP grid. All of these commands are applied to the object selection. Furthermore, you can also use a new audio quantization wizard.
As an additional program, Independence LE from yellow tools is available to you. During the installation process you will be asked if you want to install the program and its content (4 GB). After the installation you can use Independence LE as a plug-in in Sequoia. Independence LE is a sample workstation and aids in realization, adjustment and creation of authentic instruments. The sampler architecture is built up in a modular fashion. Independence LE comes with a 4 GB sound library. Here is an excerpt from the included PDF manual: "Independence is the first product based on the innovative yellow tools Advanced Instrument Technology (A.I.T.). In combination with the RF-HDD ultra fast disk streaming and the auto RAM cleaner, an unbeatable performance is possible: An unlimited number of layers and samples, unlimited polyphony, unlimited count of insert effects and filters, unlimited number of custom channels (internal virtual channels) and BUS channels... Independence manages all this fully automatically and simultaneously in the background."
- No audio file importing is possible
- Runs only in Sequoia and Samplitude
- Less content than the full version
Additional new MIDI/VST(i) features
- Object update while recording
- Advanced options for MIDI device configurations (i.e. renaming, SysEx filter)
- List of MIDI input devices in the MIDI options
- Update for MIDI (loop) recording and object cutting
Video recording (Sequoia)
The "Video recording" function enables the recording of audio and a video track at the same time. The recording is possible from all capture devices available on the system. This way, you can record a reference video track in order to document the stage activity in addition to the multi-track recording and then take this into account when mixing later.
It is now possible to use a new manager for routing purposes. It provides you with a clear overview of the inputs and outputs of all tracks:
- Matrix display of the inputs/outputs for all tracks
- Assigning multiple tracks to the same inputs/outputs by clicking on the first and Shift + Click on the last track. This enables vertical or diagonal routing.
- In the output section, all tracks are displayed as potential submix busses behind the play devices, a track can be quickly converted into a submix bus with a click of the mouse.
SMPTE Audio Sync (Sequoia)
In Sequoia synchronization window (Keyboard shortcut: Shift + G) you can synchronized the selected input with an SMPTE signal. In this way, you can synchronize Sequoia with an external time code. This function is available only for ASIO.
New options implemented for wave files (default "on") and virtual projects (default "off") for 16-bit export / CD burning. Dithering only occurs if the bit depth deviates from 16 bits.
New control bars with skin handling
By right-clicking on a symbol button you can change the skins for symbol buttons, display large symbols and adjust the control bar.
Advanced project length / WAV length
- VIP projects can now be up to 168 hours in length.
- There are no more length restrictions on WAV files with NTSF. Recordings are written to a large RIFF64 file. If under 2 GB, it will be compatible with normal wave files. Furthermore, by FAT 32 a split in W01, W02, etc. results.
Pricing is as follows (Various upgrade pricing is available).
- Sequoia 10 $3000 / €2900
- Samplitude 10 Pro $999 / €999
- Samplitude 10 $499 / €499
- Samplitude 10 Master$299 / €299
21 Jul 2011 MAGIX AG takes over yellow tools
04 Jan 2011 Magix updates Samplitude and Sequoia to v11.2
24 Mar 2010 Magix releases Vandal Virtual Guitar & Bass Amp
16 Dec 2009 Magix releases Samplitude 11 Trial Version
08 Sep 2009 Magix releases Samplitude 11 and Sequoia 11
01 Apr 2009 Magix announces Samplitude 11 and Sequoia 11
12 Dec 2008 Magix releases Samplitude and Sequoia v10.2
17 Jun 2008 Magix releases Sequoia and Samplitude v10.1
15 Jan 2008 Magix updates Sequoia/Samplitude to v10.0.2
03 Jan 2008 Magix releases Samplitude 10 demo version
20 Dec 2007 Magix updates Sequoia and Samplitude to v10.0.1
31 Oct 2007 Magix releases Sequoia 10 and Samplitude 10
12 Oct 2007 Magix announces Samplitude 10 and Sequoia 10
03 Jun 2008 Native Instruments launches 'Komplete Your DAW'
17 Jan 2008 Solid State Logic releases Pro-Convert
05 Oct 2007 Cakewalk announces Sonar 7 Crossgrade Pricing
26 Jul 2006 Samplitude V8 SE free with Computer Music 103