Midi Madness Software has announced MIDI Madness Version 3 public beta, the latest version of their algorithmic MIDI generator. Version 3 has been written from the ground up, designed for speed and live playback.
Midi Madness 3 is an algorithmic melody generator that creates unlimited unique MIDI sequences based on the parameters set by the user. It can create anything from simple bass-lines, to long and epic chord sequences.
New in Version 3:
- VST Plugin Hosting: MIDI Madness 3 now supports hosting VST instruments directly in the plugin. There's no more complicated routing, simply pick a synth and press play. VST synths can be loaded in both the VST and AU versions of MIDI Madness, and external routing is still available in the VST version. An AU MIDI FX version is also available for Logic X users.
- Multiple Playback Modes: New in version 3 are multiple playback modes. The first is Loop mode - the same as version 2, where a loop is created and played back in sync with your DAW. The second is Freestyle - Midi Madness will generate unique melodies in real-time, infinitely. The final mode is Trigger - this mode takes incoming MIDI notes and transposes them to match the chords set in MIDI Madness, allowing you to play live.
- Polyphony: MIDI Madness can now have up to 16 note polyphony. Not only can you create basslines and melodies, but it is now possible to make full chord sequences.
- Full Playback: The previous version of MIDI Madness was designed as a creation tool, not a playback tool. Version 3 takes the next step, letting you save MIDI sequences and synth data with your session. Most of the parameters can now be automated via your DAW, meaning better expression in songs and the ability to perform live.
- Expanded the CC generators from 4 to 8 (plus modulation and pitch).
- Redesigned GUI to be simple and easy to use.
- Included Clip Slots for storing sequences.
- Store generated sequences in history to go back.
- Added swing option to playback.
- Added any loop length, measured in beats instead of full bars.
- Added selectable scales to go with the existing chords.
- Bi-directional drag and drop - drag MIDI into MIDI Madness and add CC data and repitch.
- Many more tweaks and improvements.
Midi Madness 3 is currently in public beta. If you would like to try it out, head over to beta.midimadnesssoftware.com
Price: £59 at the Midi Madness Beta page. Customers will receive free updates after the official launch. Existing users of MIDI Madness can upgrade for £29. Users who purchased MIDI Madness 3 this year (2017) are entitled to a free upgrade. An email with instructions for existing users has been sent out.