MOTU has shipped three new high-end Thunderbolt audio interfaces: the 1248, 8M and 16A. Each interface delivers a wide range of analog and digital I/O, A/D/A conversion with high dynamic range, 48-channel mixing and DSP effects processing, universal connectivity to a computer, and audio networking for system expansion.
A user can start with the flagship 1248, or mix and match any combination of the three I/O's to suit their specific needs. Add a 2nd interface with a basic Ethernet cable. Add the five-port MOTU AVB Switch to build an expanded system of 3 to 5 interfaces with AVB audio networking (or 6+ with additional switches).
1248, 8M, and 16A feature summary:
- Superb audio quality — For example, all balanced TRS analog outputs produce 123 dB dynamic range and -110 dB THD+N (0.0003%) at -1 dBFS, Unweighted, 1 kHz.
- Universal connectivity — Connects to a computer with Thunderbolt or high-speed USB 2.0 (compatible with USB 3.0). Class-compliant firmware and Industry standard drivers work with any audio software.
- On-board DSP with mixing and effects — Flexible 48-input digital mixer modeled after large format mixing consoles, with 12 stereo busses and DSP effects, including reverb, 4-band EQ, gate, and compression.
- 32-bit floating point processing — The DSP engine for mixing and effects delivers virtually unlimited headroom and the best possible sound quality.
- Modeled vintage effects processing — Classic reverb. Compression modeled after the legendary LA-2A compressor. EQ modeled after British analog console EQs.
- System expansion and audio networking — Add a 2nd MOTU AVB interface (1248, 8M or 16A) with a simple Cat-5e Ethernet cable. Connect up to five MOTU interfaces using a MOTU AVB Switch (sold separately). Build a network with multiple interfaces and computers using standard AVB switches and network cabling, with ultra-low network latency, even over long cable runs (hundreds of meters). Stream hundreds of audio channels among devices and computers on the network.
- Matrix routing and splitting — Flexible, matrix-style audio routing and splitting for any analog or digital input, computer channel or network stream to any other output, computer, or network device. Split any single input to unlimited multiple output destinations.
- 256 channels of network audio I/O for a host computer — Record and monitor up to 128 networked audio channels in and out, simultaneously, through the Thunderbolt connection to a host computer.
- Web app control — Control on-board DSP, mixing, device settings, and network audio routing from web app software running in a browser on a laptop, tablet or smart phone connected by wire or Wi-Fi to a local area network.
- Stand-alone mixing with wireless control — Connect an Apple Airport or other Wi-Fi router directly to the 1248, 8M or 16A with a standard Ethernet cable and control the powerful on-board mixing and DSP effects from a smart phone or tablet, without a computer. Great for live sound mixing.
- ADAT digital I/O — Connect outboard digital processors, digital mixers or other gear. 16 channels at 44.1/48 kHz or 8 channels at 88.2/96 kHz.
- Comprehensive metering — The large backlit 324 x 24 LCD allows a user to view all signal activity at a glance with detailed metering for all analog and digital I/O. Access hardware settings from a simple and convenient menu.
Price: The price for each interface is $1,495 USD. Price for the MOTU AVB Switch is $295 USD.