21st March 2011
mucoder has announced the release of 2.0.361 "final" of tonespace 2. It's available for Windows, Mac OS X Universal Binary and Linux in VST and AU instrument plug-in and Standalone formats.
- It's a different, more intuitive music keyboard, combined with a chorder.
- It supports over 50 different grids, 14 scales, 18 keys, 30+ chord types and 25 chord voicings.
- It can function as a VST or Audio Unit plugin, processing incoming MIDI events and/or generating outgoing MIDI.
- You don't need to use MIDI though: there is also a standalone executable which contains its own little synth for a fast start.
What can you do with it?
- Audition and play chords while you move the mouse around in a grid-like space, or while using a traditional keyboard.
- Learn how musical scales and keys work, and how chords relate to these, using the simple octave-based spaces.
- Discover how chords map onto surprisingly simple geometric shapes in the more advanced spaces.
- Use chord-generation algorithms to fit chords to scales and keys automatically.
- Trigger chords from monophonic MIDI input and record the played chords using MIDI output.
Release notes since Build 2.0.294 (beta)
Build 2.0.361 (release):
- Fixed: updated manual with information on features added since public beta 2.0.294.
- New: added pdf manual version.
Build 2.0.354 (beta):
- Fixed: mode 'MIDI triggers note (modulated)' transposed some notes an octave too low.
- Fixed: some slight factory preset tweaks.
- New: added 'Monads' chord filter option, making it possible to use the chord fitting assist modes also with single notes.
Build 2.0.353 (beta):
- Fixed: slow startup of the tonespace UI on OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard.
- Fixed: Logic revalidating tonespace AU component every time during start up.
- Fixed: 'none' chord displayed in balzano 3-shape.
- Fixed: note was not released when mouse up on disabled cell.
- Fixed: hold notes until next click did not work as users expected.
- Fixed: crash in Ableton Live on Windows when closing VST gui while tonespace help/about dialog still visible.
- New: 'trigger' parameter replaces the 'on MIDI' parameter and controls when and how cells are triggered (either by mouse and/or by incoming MIDI notes).
- New: MIDI triggering offers several variants, including triggering on mouse clicking, mouse hovering or by incoming MIDI note as in tonespace 1.0.
- New: triggering by MIDI notes can optionally transpose/modulate incoming MIDI notes from CMajor into the selected scale/key (allows to play 'white keys only' and still generate chords that are in key).
- New: 'on click' parameter replaces the 'mouse' parameter and controls whether chords are released on mouse-up or held until next click.
- New: 'assist' parameter offers new chord assist modes, including a mode for fitting chords to a scale/key instead of to the space.
- New: with chord fitting to scale/key: when more than one chord is possible you can either take the best one, cycle through all, or pick a random one for an arpeggio-like effect.
- New: 'chord filter' parameter allows to restrict the types of chords that are used by chord assist algorithms. Select between 2, 3 and 4 note-chords. This also reduces the number of chord assist parameter modes, as they longer have to select the chord size.
- New: 'voicing' parameter has been extended with new inversion types and open/close modes. The old open/open+/open++ modes are now called spread/spread+/spread++.
- New: the currently hovered and/or clicked root cell is now also highlighted, so you always know where you are in the grid, even when using chord voicings with a different root note.
- New: last played and estimated next chord names are displayed.
21 Mar 2011 mucoder releases tonespace v2.0.361