21st November 2012
nashNET has released reViSiT 1.7 (actually v1.7.3), in both Standard and Professional editions. This major update notably adds the option to run reViSiT as a standalone program, enabled by the development of a dedicated VST host, designed specifically for hosting the reViSiT plugin, based on a single-windowed environment. To accommodate this new mode, a new installer has been developed, which should also be able to better detect your VST plugin directory.
In standalone mode, tempo is controlled from reViSiT using the new Set Tempo effect (@xx), where xx is tempo in BPM (hex); and which must be used on the base layer. Note: tempo effects are now imported from tracker modules, but may not yield the same speed, as older trackers use tick-based timing (based on tick resolution and "tempo"), whereas reViSiT is row-based (based on tempo only).
A new improved MIDI import now faithfully imports tempo changes in MIDI files. In addition to a fix for the row-alignment bug in 1.6 and overall neater conversions, new editing functions have been added to help you align phrases to pattern boundaries: Insert/Delete Rows in Song. Use the mouse to select the rows in which to insert space (or to remove) by left-clicking the row numbers on the left of the UI, then right click the numbers and select the appropriate function, which will move all the subsequent rows in the entire song forward or backward across pattern boundaries (as defined by the order list).
On the plugin side, another innovation is Host Playback Control, which allows you to trigger both host and reViSiT playback without leaving reViSiT. This is achieved by reViSiT pretending to be an external MIDI remote control. It requires the use of a MIDI loopback driver (like the free LoopBe1), and a host that can be set to slave to MIDI Machine Control (MMC) or MIDI Timecode (MTC). In Preferences (F12), use the new MIDI Sync Output setting to choose your MIDI loopback device and MIDI Sync Type accordingly, then set the host up to slave to that device using MMC or MTC. MMC allows reViSiT to send Start, Stop and Position data to the host, whereas MTC sets reViSiT up as the actual clock source. Furthermore, if you enable Pattern Follow (Ctrl-F) in reViSiT, MMC will move the Song Position Cursor in your host accordingly, even when the music isn't playing. This can be useful for keeping track of how your patterns line up with sequencer tracks. See here for details of how to use this new feature.
See the change log below for other modifications, which also include a number of internal changes in preparation for porting reViSiT to other platforms - notably OS X, iOS and Android.
Full Change Log
- [MOD] Website addresses updated to http://revisit.info.
- [MOD] '|' glyph added to UI font.
- [FIX] Standalone mode not saving channel assignments.
- [FIX] Playback is initially filtered or muted.
- [FIX] Rare crash when too many notes are playing.
- [FIX] Row and note auditions leads to hanging notes.
- [ADD] Master volume control in Standalone Mode.
- [MOD] reViSiT.ini option disablemidi="1" to prevent reViSiT opening external MIDI devices.
- [MOD] MIDI devices already in use now disabled in list.
- [MOD] Added 90% zoom option for Pattern Editor.
- [MOD] Filter effects (Zxx) no longer channel level.
- [FIX] Resonant filter disabled if no envelope.
- [FIX] Tearing noise when resonant filtering is used.
- [FIX] Slight startup delay caused by update check.
- [FIX] Zoom menu not shown on mouse click.
- [FIX] MIDI notes with NNA Continue causing overflow.
- [FIX] Host Play Control now disabled in Standalone mode.
- [MOD] Workaround for Cubase cycle mode / time code bug.
- [MOD] Improved guard on load of 2nd reViSiT instance.
- [MOD] Splash and toolbars animations faster on slow PCs.
- [MOD] Graphics performance improvements. [FIX] Exception related to invalid host time code. [FIX] Instability when VSTi closed during host playback.
- [FIX] Exception when path box text is too long.
- [FIX] Auto-scroll ignores Browse button in library path.
- [ADD] Standalone mode, launched from Start Menu, with support for MME, DirectX, WASAPI and ASIO drivers.
- [ADD] Export to 32-bit WAV (Shift-F10, Standalone only).
- [ADD] Single-windowed UI (in Standalone only).
- [ADD] Host Playback Control (via MIDI Sync), via MIDI Machine Control (MMC) and MIDI Timecode (MTC).
- [ADD] Tempo Effect (@xx, in BPM) in Standalone mode.
- [ADD] New installer to support Start Menu launch.
- [ADD] Insert/delete rows from whole song - left-click row numbers, then right-click to insert/delete.
- [ADD] Support for Ogg Vorbis (.ogg) samples.
- [MOD] Cleaner toolbar aesthetic.
- [MOD] Anti-aliased fonts for UI controls.
- [MOD] Significantly faster initial loading time.
- [MOD] Blank feedback comments are no longer sent.
- [MOD] Memory handling changes in UI code.
- [MOD] Improved file dialog code.
- [MOD] Improved memory handling in sync code.
- [MOD] Improved MIDI file import, with tempo support.
- [MOD] WAVE files now loaded with loop and pitch data.
- [MOD] Improved navigation in built-in file dialogs.
- [MOD] Empty keymap slots no longer use pattern pitch.
- [MOD] Minor code refactoring.
- [FIX] * Invalid order entries not always detected.
- [FIX] Pattern sometimes squashed into 2x1 cell on load.
- [FIX] Fade out reverting to previous volume after fade.
- [FIX] Sharp volume ramps causing clicks.
- [FIX] Panning flipped for stereo samples.
- [FIX] Keymap UI tied to Channel 01 (mute, vol, etc.).
- [FIX] Bug with sample saving file dialog.
- [FIX] Possible bug stopping music via toolbar.
- [FIX] Instrument swap dialogs not display value.
- [FIX] Error when playback continues for very long time.
- [FIX] MIDI Import not always aligned correctly.
- [FIX] Drop lists cropping off tails of letters.
- [FIX] Preferences corrupted upon save.
- [FIX] Always-on-Top preventing window closure.
- [FIX] Crash on playing/changing samples in file browser.
- [FIX] Playback cursor hidden by row highlight.