nashNET has announced the release of version 1.3 of reViSiT Pro, making reViSiT not only much easier to use but also much easier to learn, without compromising the fluid user experience already enjoyed by reViSiT's more-practiced composers. reViSiT Pro is still available for free as part of the reViSiT Experiment.
reViSiT now boasts:
- Comprehensive mouse editing and data entry: With so many features and keys to learn, trackers can be daunting. So, in reViSiT 1.3, you can now enter and edit your music, using the mouse. With new widgets for selecting pitch, instrument, volume, panning, depth and even effects, it's easy to learn what everything does. With a flexible new drag-'n'-drop feature, you can directly manipulate and arrange your music. And with the new right-click editing menu, you don't have to look up features in the manual and work out the keyboard shortcut.
- Graphical representations and visual guidelines: The tracker pattern, a big page full of text, can also be off-putting. So, reViSiT now includes an Info Bar ('?'), that graphically shows what everything in the pattern does – using a piano keyboard for pitch, visual scales for volume and spatialisation, and visual explanations and scales for each of the many different effects. Choose a note or number and see the description, as well as the current value, which can be edited directly with the mouse.
- New methods to discover new methods: With new menus for editing and data entry, you can now browse through the various musical possibilities afforded by reViSiT. Discover not only new features, but also new ways of interacting – start in you own time, with the mouse; then get into flow, using the keyboard with the menu mnemonics (e.g. Alt or Menu, to open the menu, then 'F', to select File); and then step it up a gear, learning the keyboard shortcuts, which are also shown, in the menu.
All changes in v1.3.0:
- [ADD] Info Bar ('?') - graphical representation of data, with visual guidelines and mouse interaction.
- [ADD] Intelligent effects browser, with effect menu, visual guidelines and mouseable parameter scales.
- [ADD] Command menu for both mouse users (right-click) and keyboard novices (Menu key / Alt), with underlined mneumonics + keyboard shortcuts.
- [ADD] Mouse drag & drop (move/copy,overwrite/insert/mix) (see status bar when dragging for details).
- [ADD] Auto-scroll for mouse selection and dragging.
- [MOD] Minor changes to input handler.
- [MOD] Selected additional keys now user-definable.
- [MOD] Shift-tab goes to 1st column, then previous track.
- [MOD] New memory management for active notes.
- [MOD] Channel volume now affects MIDI volume.
- [MOD] Status bar redesigned to accommodate info switch.
- [MOD] reViSiT ident now triggers menu.
- [FIX] Mousing beyond Channel 64 causing crash.
- [FIX] Help bar sometimes not greyed out losing focus.
- [FIX] Mousing over help bar heavy on CPU.
- [FIX] Delay after help bar closed, before redisplay.