At the recent Amsterdam Dance Event 2017 Dutch producer and DJ duo Sick Individuals launched their first in-house software plugin, Focus One.
Here's what they say:
Rinze 'Ray' Hofstee and Joep 'Jim' Smeele have been responsible for a raft of international dancefloor hits. The Axwell-collaboration 'I AM', 'Alive', 'Lost & Found', 'Made For This', 'Into The Light', 'Never Fade' and 'Wasting Moonlight' have all proven their ability to move easily between electro, progressive and house genres and commercial electronic-pop. Official remixes for Madonna, Rita Ora, Moby, Avicii, Rihanna, Tiesto, Guetta and Icona Pop have shown how readily they can dip their toes in more mainstream markets. Without the help of any major production team, creating everything themselves from scratch and relying solely on their music conservatory background, their work has graced labels as diverse as Revealed Recordings, Spinnin', Warner, Interscope, Def Jam and Capital.
Intent on opening the door for the next generation of up and coming producers, the pair worked closely with Prolody and Moditone for over two years, ultimately developing their Focus One plugin to help cut through the back end of what can be a frustratingly detail-orientated process, to access the highest sound quality possible.
Speaking from their studio in the Netherlands, Ray and Jim spoke about why they felt the need to create the 'Focus One':
"We wanted to deliver a plugin that really delivered what producers need, one that gives better results faster," Ray said. "It took us two years to get it just the way we wanted it, but you should notice straight away the difference 'Focus One' makes to your composition."
"The plugin has five key features that can be really beneficial for your mix and with a low CPU" added Jim. "We really think the 'Focus One' is the perfect tool to improve your mix - it's what we use ourselves so you know it's going to be absolutely spot on."
Used by Sick Individuals in the studio themselves, the Focus One plugin has five high-level effects that provide everything you need to make your synths sound big, cut through the mix and work together perfectly with your beats:
- Focus - advanced compression that slams your sound in a unique way. Toughen up your mix.
- Boost - a specialized EQ to boost your leads. Enhance your sound and cut through the mix.
- Drive - high resolution distortion to give more crunch and punch. Add harmonics to your sounds.
- Widen - mid-side effect that opens up your stereo image, adding substantial size to your mix. Make everything sound huge.
- Pulse - a smart tremolo effect, automatically synced to your BPM. Create excitement and energy.
- Extreme Mode - switch to extreme mode and push your mix beyond the limits. Make it SICK.
Price: €49.95. Focus One is available for Mac OS X and Windows in VST2, VST3 and AU plug-in formats.