Propellerhead Software has released Reason 9.2, a free update for Reason 9 owners that supports further development for the Rack Extension plug-in platform, and introduces Software Development Kit (SDK) 2.5 to developers.
"The Rack Extension SDK allows us to focus on the DSP and user interface design while taking care of all of the other details, " said Andrew Best, CEO of Blamsoft. "The new sample loading feature in SDK 2.5 allows for an entirely new breed of instruments and effects not yet seen in the platform. You can expect Blamsoft to utilize the exciting new SDK 2.5 features in both new and existing Rack Extensions."
The Rack Extension SDK has evolved significantly since its inception, and now offers many new features, including:
- User sample loading and sampling in Rack Extensions.
- Customizable and switchable panels, widgets and tabs.
- Numerous other improvements including display pop-up menus, modifier keys in displays and new ways to visualize audio and data.
- Improved development, testing and debugging tools.
Using a comprehensive development kit provided by Propellerhead Software, third-party developers can create instrument and effect units to be used inside Reason. Designed for both C++ engineers and sample-based instrument designers, the updated SDK 2.5 and Instrument Development Toolkit (IDT) provide all the tools necessary to develop instruments and effects, then sell them in the marketplace with minimal effort.
Pricing and availability
Reason 9.2 is a free downloadable update for Reason 9 owners.
Reason is available for purchase as a direct download from Propellerhead's website, or from authorized dealers worldwide at the following suggested retail pricing:
- Reason —USD $449 / EUR €405.
- Reason Essentials —USD $129 / EUR €120.
- Reason Upgrade (from any previous Reason version) — USD $129 / EUR €129.