19th December 2006
Cerebrum 3 is a groovebox-style synth/sampler hybrid drum machine featuring seven drumsynth modules as well as a bass synth module, each with its own wavlayer for layering with user samples. Three of the seven drum synth modules are sample based, hosting several built-in kick, snare and percussion samples from Les Productions Zvon and Manytone Music.
Each of the synth modules has its own dual 16-step A/B sequencers which allow switching between two different beats, manually or automatic. The sequencers are flexible, and can be played in a variety of ways including looped or ping-pong, each hosting two sets of assignable accent underscores and velocity grids with four types of sequence randomization for further beat manipulation.
Cerebrum can be played in a number of ways such as host-sync, normal play or MIDI trigger. While triggering with a MIDI keyboard, you can choose to trigger the drumline with the upper keys while the bassline is triggered by the lower, or vice versa. At the same time, the middle keys will trigger one-shot (non-sequenced) drums.
Designed with live operation in mind, Cerebrum can be used for making complex beats on the fly that can be randomized, mixed, matched and manipulated in a number of ways.
Specifications / features:
- 4 drum synth modules.
- 3 drum sample synth modules.
- 1 bass synth module.
- Each of the 7 drum modules has it's own Wavlayer for layering with user samples.
- 2 16-step pattern sequencers for each module.
- Automatic beat matching functions for each sequencer.
- 2 accent switches for each sequencer(for gain, reverse, glide, glitch etc.).
- 2 velocity grids for each sequencer(for pitch, level, filter, glitch rate etc.).
- 4 types of random probability for each sequencer.
- Each sequencer has independent control of speed, direction, length, etc.
- Host sync.
- Keyboard mappings for drumlines, bassline and one-shot drums.
- Polyphonic option for all synths as well bass sequencer.
- Volume/Panning vectors.
- Onboard drum mixer.
- Multiple audio outputs (channels 1-6).
- 32 presets.
Cerebrum is available as a VST instrument for Windows and costs $34.95. A demo version is available.