A beta version of Renoise v2.1 is now available for registered users.
New features in Renoise 2.1 include:
- Full ReWire Slave & Master support (on Windows & OSX): ReWire allows you to connect and synchronize multiple software applications, so that you can run them side by side while passing Audio/MIDI information between them. For example, you could connect Renoise to Logic, program your drums in Renoise, while arranging the bulk of your song in Logic. Or you could connect both Reason and Ableton Live to Renoise, arrange your track in Renoise, control Reason's built-in synthesizers, and play around with loops in Live. All it takes is some ReWire enabled software and you are good to go. ReWire has two modes, both of which are fully supported by Renoise: ReWire Master (ReWire Mixer) and ReWire Slave (ReWire Synth).
- Jack Transport Support (Linux only): Similar to ReWire, Renoise now supports the Jack transport protocol. Jack transport allows Linux users to start/stop reposition multiple audio programs, all connected/running through Jack.
- New Pattern Sequencer Features:
- Detached Sequencer View Now Possible: This new feature allows the user to detach the current playback position from the edit position. This lets you edit a pattern while other patterns are playing. Those who don't want this new behavior by default, can disable it in the GUI preferences pane. The "Pattern Follow" Option will then only detach the playback position in the Pattern Editor.
- Live Pattern Triggering: Patterns can now be "scheduled" for playback via a new column in the Pattern Sequencer. Without stopping playback you can now trigger new sequences in the song "in real time". The new column should be more or less self-evident. For those who don't want to use the mouse, there are also two new related shortcuts:
- Play/Switch to the currently edited Sequence -> Control + Shift + Space.
- Schedule the currently edited Sequence Pos for Playback -> Control + Space (exchange "Control" with "Command" on OSX).
- New meta devices (Modulation / Automation Device fun):
- *Hydra Device: Automate/change/broadcast multiple FX parameters with a single parameter. Think of this as a magic slider, which connects itself to up to 9 other parameters - allowing you to change multiple settings with just one slider or automation.
- *Keytracking Device: Modulates parameters depending on an instruments key (note) value. Like what the "*Velocity Device" does with Velocities, the Keytracking device does with Keys/Notes.
- "*MIDI Control Device": This device replaces the old "MIDI-CC Device", finally offering Pitchbend, Channel Pressure, Program Change & regular controller (CC) in a single device.