29th May 2014
Sound Dust has released Hammr+, which is one part of the Hammr Suite - a classic tonewheel organ sample set developed by Sound Dust with Oasis/Sheryl Crow keyboard player Mikey Rowe and recorded at Toyroom Studios in Brighton.
Hammr+ has all the capabilities you'd expect of a drawbar organ. But in true Sound Dust style it also moves a long way from the limitations of the original. By taking advantage of sampling technology and bespoke Kontakt architecture, Hammr+ is capable of new levels of control and sound possibilities that were inconceivable in the original 1959 instrument.
- Every note of every drawbar of an unmentionable tonewheel organ sampled for 7 secs through a 1959 Leslie cabinet for around 1GB of uncompressed samples.
- Individual control of volume, pan, ADSR, vibrato, saturation (amount, bass and tone) and tremolo (speed, fade and depth) for every drawbar.
- Percussion 2nd and 3rds available at the same time, with control of octave and decay time.
- Note off volume and decay control.
- Velocity sensitivity control.
- CC11 hard-wired to volume for expression pedal swells.
- Leslie simulator with speed, treble/bass balance and distance controls.
- 69 specially recorded reverb impulses from a variety of real spaces and classic gear.
- Cabinet re-micing through a choice of 11 speaker cabinets.
- Dirt, morphing EQ and master EQ effects.
- Dirty contacts control adds small amounts of timing variation to note on / off to mimic the effects of ageing key contacts.
- 70 presets including 30 classic sounds.
- Chaos and reset controls for painless sound design.
- Master/slave control system for quick adjustment of group controls.
- Built in user manual.
- €10 discount link for the MVintageRotary Leslie simulator by Melda Production.
Hammr+ is a downloadable Kontakt instrument that works in the full version Kontakt 4.2.4 and above.
Price: £30. Available from Sound Dust.
Here's a video walkthrough with Mikey explaining how it works and what it's capable of: www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwhwTQKfl1Q
Here's a demo track by Fredo Viola who has also contributed to the preset design: soundcloud.com/sound-dust-1/hammr-demo-roma-by-nini-rota-demo-by-fredo-viola