Steinberg Media Technologies has announced distribution of a new mixing tutorial DVD-ROM series that supports users of DAW applications in creating powerful, balanced mixes using advanced software tools. Filmed in HD quality, the two-part Internal Mixing series provides a total of 340 minutes of advice and tips on all aspects of mixing using Steinberg's Cubase and Nuendo applications, and includes English, German, French and Spanish soundtracks.
Contents Vol. I (running Time 160 mins):
- Defining the objective of the mix.
- The three dimensions.
- Tips for delivering the mix master to the mastering studio.
- More bits sound better!
- The systematic approach – clarity and a good workflow for the mix.
- Working with groups.
- Compressing groups to save CPU and increase sound power.
- EQing groups to save resources and create "space".
- Handling groups: What do I control via groups, and what via tracks?
- Workflow overview.
- Summary of panning rules.
- Preventing phase interference.
- Breakdown of the frequency bands and their principle zones.
- Mixing a tight bass range.
- EQ basic rules.
- Common basic parameters of compressors and their use.
Contents Vol. II (running Time 180 mins):
- Exercises with compressors.
- Layering with reverb and delay.
- Native and DSP-aided reverb devices.
- Pre-delay as a design component.
- EQing in reverb return as a design component.
- Layering strategies.
- Pre-fader or post-fader?
- How many reverb devices do you need? Planning depth design.
- Additional aspect: Design and the use of Mute and Special FX.
- Processing single instruments.
- Microphone tracks.
- Refining loops (doubling, gating, compressing, reverbing).
- Exercise in editing loops.
- EQing and compressing vocals.
- Special aspects concerning choruses.
Internal Mixing appears in two volumes, costing €49 each, and are available now.