17th January 2008
Steinberg Media Technologies has finally announced the release of the VST3 SDK (Software Development Kit), the latest generation of its VST platform. VST3 offers new capabilities to developers of host applications, audio plug-ins and virtual instruments.
"VST3 opens up new possibilities for products and technologies in the audio industry," comments Andreas Stelling, Steinberg's General Manager. "The new capabilities provide a new platform for innovation, with features that will make a big difference to developers and users alike. The release of VST3 underlines Steinberg's ongoing commitment to innovation and creativity in audio technology," he adds.
Already implemented in Steinberg's Cubase and Nuendo product ranges, VST3 offers a range of new features and advantages over other standards.
- Enhanced CPU efficiency: unique silence detection feature automatically switches off the plug-in if no audio signal is being received
- Multiple Dynamic I/Os: VST3 plug-ins are fully surround-capable, and can be configured to receive from and output to any I/O configuration, including any surround format
- Dynamic Bus Management: VST3 plug-in output busses can be reassigned at any time, streamlining the integration of plug-ins with the VST mixer
- Sample-accurate automation: Parameter changes can now be automated with extreme precision, including supported for 'ramped' data
- Resizable editing windows: The new SDK allows dynamic resizing of windows, allowing improved flexibility in the use of valuable screen space
- VSTXML for Remote Controllers: VSTXML file support allows parameters to be represented on remote controller surfaces, including changing order, naming and much more
- Audio Inputs for VST Instruments: VST3 instruments can be assigned audio input busses, opening up a large range of exciting new creative possibilities
- Multiple MIDI inputs/outputs: VST3 extends the MIDI I/O capability for plug-ins, allowing multiple MIDI inputs and outputs simultaneously
- Optional SKI Integration: Combined with the use of the additional Steinberg Kernel Interface (SKI), VST3 plug-ins can integrate directly into Steinberg host software at application level, enabling VST3 plug-ins to create tracks, perform copy/cut/paste tasks and many other operations
- New Developer Tools: Designed to enhance the process of engineering VST3 products, VST3 offers a clearly structured, object-oriented C++ interface, an automated testing environment, an advanced preset system, a model test host application, sample source code and much more.
The SDK can be used under free license, and is available for download now.
09 Apr 2014 Steinberg updates Cubase to v7.5.20
12 Mar 2014 Steinberg announces WaveLab 8.5
17 Feb 2014 Steinberg updates Cubasis to v1.7.2
06 Feb 2014 Steinberg updates Cubase 7.5 to v7.5.10
04 Feb 2014 Steinberg updates Cubase 7 to v7.0.7
04 Feb 2014 Steinberg updates Nuendo to v6.0.7
21 Jan 2014 Steinberg releases Cubase iC Pro for Android
17 Dec 2013 Steinberg updates Cubasis for iOS to v1.7.1
31 Oct 2013 Steinberg updates WaveLab to v8.0.3
27 Feb 2007 jVSTwRapper v0.9c now available
31 Aug 2004 jVSTwRapper v0.7 released
04 Mar 2004 jVSTwRapper v0.6 released
25 Feb 2004 jVSTwRapper v0.5 released
10 Feb 2004 jVSTwRapper v0.4 released