Subatomic Software has announced the release of Audulus 1.5, a major update for its modular synthesis app for OS X available on the Mac App Store.
"Your favorite software instruments can now run inside Audulus," explains W. Taylor Holliday, Founder of Subatomic Software. "Just like Audio Unit effects, Audio Unit instruments can now be processing nodes. This opens up new creative possibilities. Users can even run software instruments inside the plugin version of Audulus. Plugins in a plugin. If another modular synth can do that, please let me know."
With Audulus, users can build synthesizers, design new sounds, or process audio. All with low latency, real-time processing suitable for live performance.
Audulus 1.5 has a refined UI. "We've improved the look and responsiveness of the UI," says Holliday. "Animation is smoother, it's easier to make connections, and nodes such as the Oscillator, ADSR, and Delay have new customized UI."
Version 1.5 also adds seven new example patches. "We want to provide enough examples so Audulus is approachable to modular synthesis newcomers," explains Holliday. "We've added new examples in every major release."
Audulus 1.5 adds three new processing nodes: reverb, 16-step sequencer, and sample-and-hold.
In addition, the file format has been changed for compatibility with the forthcoming iPad and 64-bit versions. Users should upgrade their patches by loading and re-saving them.
New Features include:
- Support for Audio Unit Software Instruments.
- New file format. (Users should update their patches to the new format.).
- 7 new example patches.
- Circular Inputs and outputs to show their entire interaction region.
- New compact UI for the Osc node.
- Sample & Hold node.
- Reverb node.
- Improved Delay node: added mix and feedback knobs.
- Seq16, a 16-step sequencer node.
- Improved Filter node UI. Now shows cutoff frequency while dragging.
- Updated cutoff frequency response curve for better low-frequency accuracy. Hold shift while dragging to fine-tune the cutoff frequency.
- Now always show CPU load.
- Bug fixes and performance improvements.
Audulus is available on the Map App Store for $14.99. For more information, visit audulus.com.