TallKite Software has released alt-tuner, a Jesusonic plug-in which retunes a MIDI keyboard or softsynth microtonally.
- Recreate historical tunings like pythagorean, meantone and well-temperaments.
- Stretch piano tuning -- create custom Railsback curves.
- Explore ethnic tunings like Turkish, Arabic, Persian, Indian and Indonesian.
- Investigate experimental tunings like 22 notes to the octave, etc.
- Or just use the adaptive just intonation feature to make "normal" music sound smoother.
- Switch tunings mid-song via pedals and keyswitches.
- Retroactive retuning window allows retuning of notes already played.
- Multi-keyboard and multi-player support: retune multiple synths at once.
- Novice-friendly "point-and-click" interface.
- Immediate visual feedback with lattice, graph and table views.
- Traditional 5-limit just intonation.
- 7-limit just intonation, 11-limit just intonation, etc.
- Historical temperaments like meantone and well temperament.
- Stretched piano tunings -- create your own Railsback curves.
- Tempering of any comma or group of commas.
- Adaptive just intonation (just chords, but tempered modulating intervals).
- Adaptive tuning (tempered chords, and differently-tempered modulating intervals).
- EDOs (equal division of an octave) like 5-EDO, 19-EDO, 22-EDO, etc.
- Fine tuning of individual notes via pitchbend wheel or mouse clicks.
- Stretched/compressed tunings (all intervals are widened or narrowed proportionally).
- Remapped tunings (in which the keys run out of order).
- Non-octave tunings (tunings that repeat at intervals other than an octave).
- Non-12 tunings (tunings that repeat after more or less than 12 keys).
- Non-octave AND non-12 tunings like Bohlen-Pierce (tempered or just).
Alt-tuner is a Jesusonic plug-in that runs inside Reaper. Users of other DAWs must use Rewire, and a virtual MIDI cable.
Price: $99 - $150 sliding scale.