Three-Body Technology has announced the release of Heavier7Strings, a 7-stringed metal-style guitar virtual instrument with a complete effect rack and patterns library.
Here's what they say: "We saw so many people use add-on 3rd party effects rather than built-in effects for their virtual guitars. But things will change. The effect rack we provide for you is complete and of production-level quality, not just a toy."
Heavier7Strings is a real-time playable sample-based virtual instrument. The sample library consists more than 10,000 samples in 24-bit 48000 Hz, totalling 8 GB.
The sampler used in Heavier7Strings is self-developed, no third-party samplers were used. It has following characteristics:
- Direct read from disk;
- Shared sample buffer between instances to reduce memory consumption;
- Automatic fade out on disk-read overtime to avoid clicks & pops.
- Infinite sustain;
- Hammer-on & pull-off;
- Legato slide in/out;
- Pinch harmonics;
- Polyphonic legato;
- 24 "inspiration keys" to directly trigger specially played sounds/complex performances;
- String and fret board position;
- Up/down picking;
- Strumming: deduce complete chord from part of composing notes;
- Trigger power chords from root note.
Built-in DSP Engine
A built-in DSP engine named THRASH (Tonal/Harmonic Reconstruction and Shaping) is included in Heavier7Strings to provide various tone adjusting functions:
- +∞RR: in addition to 16x recorded RR at maximum, random timbre and envelope changes are applied on samples to provide more vivid RR playing;
- True doubling: two guitars playing simultaneously on left and right channel, each has individual random note delay and RR selection.
- Sample-based LFO: modulate sample pitch with pitch curves extracted from real-world vibrato playing. This technique is adjustable in both degree and frequency, and is more realistic than just modulate the pitch by sine/ triangle wave.
- Dynamically recoups the formant during pitch-bend.
- Digitally emulated tone knob and pickup switch;
- Adjustable tension and resonance.
Heavier7Strings includes an effect rack. The effect rack has 19 effect modules, including AMP, Overdrive, Screamer, Flanger, Ping-Pong Delay, etc. The modules can be freely assembled, and all these modules can run in stereo to work with doubling mode.
The AMP and cabinet modules have following features:
- AMP module works in 2-8X super sampling to avoid high frequency aliasing;
- 16 AMP styles from heavy metal to clean sound;
- 66 cabinet factory IRs (impulse responses) including various speakers and mics;
- Users custom cabinet IR via WAV files;
- At most four IRs mixed with different delay, volume and phasing.
In addition, the effect rack contains a preset manager to store effect presets, and a number of 200 factory presets are provided.
MIDI Patterns Library
Heavier7Strings contains 200 predefined MIDI patterns, together with effect rack configurations. The style of these patterns range from metal, rock, pop, clean, and non-rhythmic noise and ambient sounds. All these patterns can be dragged into host DAWs, and users can define their own patterns by MIDI clip.
See Heavier7Strings demo video on: YouTube