Tone2 Audiosoftware has released Saurus Analog Synthesizer, their new plug-in instrument that they say takes the highly-regarded analog sound from the past into the unlimited digital realm, fusing them together with a user interface that invites to tweak and a multitude of unique sound sculpting tools exclusive to Saurus. All without placing heavy demands on your CPU or budget.
It has been the aim of developers the world over to bring the best "Virtual Analog" synths possible to re-create the sound of classic hardware.
Tone2 say they set out to create not just another synthesizer with character, but one that truly represents the sound of analog hardware. They carefully measured and modeled the circuits of many classic performance synthesizers, even including single capacitors and resistors to provide an extremely accurate analog model, faithfully capturing the spirit and character of these old machines.
Saurus Analog Synthesizer
At the heart of Saurus is its high-end quality oscillators employing Tone2's True Analog Modeling Technology, which produces a warm characteristic sound reminiscent of the hardware units from the past. Unlike their hardware counterparts these oscillators offer much more then just simple sound generation. Pulse Width Modulation which can be applied to all wave types opens up an "incredible" sonic range when used to modulate from one wave shape to another.
Together with oscillator sync, oscillator drift and AM & FM noise modulation an even broader range of sounds can be dialed-in, be it from using drift to introduce minor circuit instabilities, to complete analog chaos with the sync and noise modulation features.
Taking things even further, Saurus offers a selection of both standard as well as a large number of wave types from exotic synths to choose from.
No analog sound would be complete without a filter capable of sounding both lush when needed or screaming when over driven. Analog-esque filters are far from perfect, suffering from distortion, noise, phase shift and self-oscillation, but it is exactly these imperfections that gives them more character than their sterile sounding digital counterparts.
Saurus comes with a filter section modeled after a variety of analog filters, with precisely modeled non-linearity and self-oscillation to make them sound every bit as characterful as its core sound. To top it all off the filter section also includes filterFM, filter feedback and an analog modeled distortion for that little extra grit.
Modulation & Effects
The modulation system is based around punchy envelopes, LFOs that can run at audio-rate and a flexible modulation matrix. It features several new ways to take the sound sculpting even further. Tone2's unique modulation value modifiers for example can be used to filter or shape envelope and LFO waveforms. While the voiceout source allows you to use the audio output of a voice to modulate any matrix destination like cutoff or unison spread to create chaos. With these modulation options an almost infinite number of sound shaping possibilities are within your reach.
To compliment its sound Saurus also features various essential effects such as chorus, delay, reverb, tube amp and psychoacoustic processing.
Arpeggiator & Gate
A lot of thought went into creating an arpeggiator that doesn't just offer the basic note step functionality but takes the concept even further by adding features like custom patterns, chords, double, triple note, swing and per step velocity. This ensures your arpeggio sequence can be as simple or complicated as you want.
- True Analog Modeling Technology, covers all important aspects of traditional analog synths.
- Low CPU and high reliability.
- Low price.
- Easy-to-use interface.
- Mono, Legato & Polyphonic modes employing analog voice management.
- Two syncable oscillators and two sub oscillators.
- Includes not just standard waveforms but also a large number of exotic ones.
- Pulse width modulation and oscillator sync applicable to every waveform.
- Oscillator drift, phase and noise modulation controls.
- Noise FM, AM and ring modulation for oscillators.
- Analog filter with self-oscillation, nonlinearity, 6 filter types, FM and feedback.
- LFOs and modulation capable of running at audio-rate.
- Powerful arpeggiator with extensive configuration possibilities.
- Flexible modulation matrix with new features, including a filter.
- Programmable gate.
- 4x Stereo unison modes with spread and panning control.
- Analog modeled distortion and tube amp.
- Optional psycho-acoustic processing.
- Ships with 563 presets from 21 top sound designers.
Pricing & Availability
Saurus Analog Synthesizer is available now for €99 / $119 in the following formats:
- PC: VSTi 32 bit, VSTi 64 bit, Standalone 32 bit, Standalone 64 bit.
- Mac: VSTi 32 bit, VSTi 64 bit, AU 32 bit, AU 64 bit Universal Binary for 32 bit Intel, 64 bit Intel and Power PC.