9th December 2009
u-he has announced that version 1.0 of ACE (Any Cable Everywhere), the small, low cost synthesizer plug-in with easy but powerful modular features, is now available for Windows (VST) and Mac OS X (VST, AU and RTAS) priced at €69.
u-he says "ACE is very hungry on CPU but has a rewarding sound quality that has rarely been achieved in software before". ACE is ideally suited as an entry level synthesizer for modular synthesis as it's pre-wired in a familiar standard 2LFO-2VCO-2VCF-2ENV-2VCA fashion.
ACE may seem underspec'ed judging from its raw feature list, but bear in mind that virtually everything can be plugged into everything else. You can plug an LFO into a Filter and from there use it as a source for FM.
- 2 x LFO (1 sine, 1 sine/tri/saw/sqr) 0Hz - 20kHz.
- 2 x ADSR (same as Bazille).
- 2 x VCO (saw/PWM) 0Hz - 20kHz, VCO1 with SubOsc.
- 2 x VCF (two variable outlets each: LP1/LP2/LP3/LP4, HP/BP/BR).
- 2 x VCA/Pan.
- 2 x Multiples (as in Bazille).
- 1 x Mixer (Osc balance, Sub, Noise, Aux).
- 1 x Ramp Generator (up->hold->down->rest, loops if rest < 100).
- 1 x Mapping Generator (creates variable values for each note or key, can be used as custom waveform for LFO2).
- 1 x noise (white, pink).
- 1 x the common extras, such as Glide/Glide2.
- 1 x stereo chorus (global).
- 1 x ping pong delay (global).
- 1 x Bass/Treble booster (global).
25 signal sources, 30+ signal targets, some paths wired internally so that it makes noise even without a single cable attached (think ARP 2600). 100% free of Supersaw. Instead it has:
- Exceptional sync /w FM (VCO1->VCO2, think Cross-modulation).
- LFOs that can be used as additional VCOs and vice versa.
- Exceptional filter sound including convincing self oscillation.
- Support for .tun files.
- 500+ presets, including banks form Howard Scarr and Skippy Lehmkuhl.