Universal Audio has announced the release of the EP-34 Tape Echo plug-in for the UAD-2 and also the release of version 5.7.0 of the UAD Software.
The EP-34 Tape Echo plug-in gives guitar players and mix engineers the rich, warm tape delay effects of vintage Echoplex* units, now on the UAD-2 Powered Plug-Ins platform for Mac OS X and Windows. One need only listen to classic recordings from Jimmy Page, Brian May, Chick Corea, Eddie Van Halen, Eric Johnson and Andy Summers to hear the Echoplex sound in action.
Unlike other Echoplex emulations, the EP-34 targets specific behaviors of both the EP-3 and EP-4 Echoplexes. The DSP experts at UA sweated every last detail, ensuring that the EP-34 plug-in is verifiably the most accurate model for those who want the distinct, chaotic Echoplex sound, "warts and all."
"The rich tape echo sounds and tactile controls of the original EP-3 and EP-4 hardware units have been cherished by musicians and engineers alike for decades," enthused Matt Ward, President of Universal Audio. "We're elated to be the first to provide the dead-on sonic qualities and controls from both of these classic units as a software emulation."
Available for purchase via UA's Online Store for $199, the EP-34 Tape Echo Powered Plug-In features include:
- Desirable sound of original EP-3 and EP-4 Echoplex tape delay units.
- Tape echo effects virtually indistinguishable from those used on countless classic recordings of the past six decades.
- Unique movable record head design creates warm, rich sound unlike any other delay unit.
The EP-34 Tape Echo plug-in is available as part of the new UAD Software v5.7.0 release. In addition to the EP-34 Tape Echo, v5.7.0 includes the now officially licensed dbx 160 Compressor/Limiter plug-in, as well as additional performance enhancements for all UAD-2 users on the Windows platform.
Changes in Version 5.7.0:
- New UAD-2 delay plug-in: EP-34 Classic Tape Echo.
- UAD VCA VU is now officially licensed and renamed to UAD dbx 160 (see the release notes).
- (UAD-2) Firmware update resolves potential flash memory errors.
- (Win) UAD Meter settings are now obeyed under certain DAWs with Vista/Win7** (see note below).
- (Win RTAS) Manley Massive Passive and Precision Enhancer Hz are now installed on non-english language systems.
* The EP-34 Tape Echo product is not affiliated with, sponsored, nor endorsed by any companies currently using the "Echoplex" name. The Echoplex name, as well as the EP-3 and EP-4 model names, are used solely to identify the classic effects emulated by Universal Audio's product.
20 May 2013 Universal Audio ships Apollo 16 Audio Interface
15 Feb 2013 Universal Audio releases UAD v6.5 software