FerricTDS - Tape Dynamics Simulator was the Winner of the KVR Developer Challenge 2009! It's available for Windows as a VST effect plug-in and, like all entries in the Developer Challenge, it is free.
Inspired by the smooth dynamic shaping capabilities of some high-end reel-to-reel tape recorders, FerricTDS - Tape Dynamics Simulator simulates three of the most distinctive and much appreciated sonic effects generated by these devices:
- Dynamics: gently shaping the overall dynamic response.
- Saturation: adding extra harmonic-related content.
- Limiting: controlling peak performance.
Functions at a glance:
- Performs gentle audio dynamic treatments.
- Masters difficult to handle audio material.
- Adds extra harmonics and saturation effects.
- Controls outgoing audio peaks.
FerricTDS features 4x oversampled core algorithms; performance-critical parts are written in assembler; and it is SSE-optimized.