12th May 2008
Having introduced the free mixing and host software Vienna Ensemble 2 in November 2007, the Vienna Symphonic Library team has released the follow-up, Vienna Ensemble 3, which VSL claims is the first MIDI and audio LAN solution that enables users to set up a cross-platform network of Macs and PCs using a simple Ethernet cable, without any additional audio hardware.
Registered users of Vienna Instruments can download the free demo license to test drive Vienna Ensemble 3 on their computers for 30 days. A video tutorial on Vienna's website demonstrates how easy it is to set up the system. The full version is available as a download at the company's website for €95.
Developed for and to be used exclusively with Vienna Instruments, Vienna Ensemble 3 aims to make conducting a full-blown orchestra over a network a breeze. While using a sequencer or notation software on the master computer, Vienna Ensemble 3 can host numerous Vienna Instruments plug-ins on any number of slave machines and route all of those audio streams back to the main machine via an Ethernet cable. Assigning the Vienna Instruments plug-ins to slave machines preserves the master computer's CPU resources – all computing (including GUI rendering) and hard disk streaming is done on the slave machine(s).
Vienna Ensemble 3 has all of the features of its free predecessor Vienna Ensemble 2, including Power Panning. This CPU-friendly feature can be used to position the instruments in the user's personal orchestral templates. The software also includes a stand-alone mode, which permits running Vienna Ensemble 3 and the sequencer or notation software on the very same computer (DAW).
- Custom-made for hosting Vienna Instruments.
- Stand-alone application, ideal for running Vienna Instruments on external Macs and PCs (interchangeably): 8 ports with 16 MIDI channels each.
- Plug-in formats RTAS (Mac PPC & Intel), AU (Mac PPC & Intel) and VST (PC and Mac PPC & Intel) for use with a host sequencer: 16 MIDI channels per instance.
- No audio interfaces, no MIDI interfaces on additional computers (slaves) – all that's required is Ethernet with a Gigabit connection.
- No third party software to send audio and MIDI data between computers.
- As many Vienna Ensemble 3 instances as needed can be launched on the slave computer (depending on the slave's RAM), each with 16 MIDI tracks to instantiate Vienna Instruments plug-ins.
- Up to 16 stereo tracks per Vienna Ensemble 3 instance can be routed back to the master computer.
- Instant instrument switching gives immediate access to all instruments within the Vienna Ensemble user interface. A click on the desired instrument channel brings up its user interface instantly – no more redundant screen clutter.
- Instrument naming – all Vienna Instruments instances inside Vienna Ensemble 3 can be labeled for a complete, at-a-glance overview.
- Total recall – orchestra setups can be saved with one click.
- Definable play ranges for multi-instrument set-ups for studio and live use.
- Inserts for AU (Mac) and VST (PC) effect plug-ins.
- Panning and Power Panning for precise positioning.
- Flexible routing with freely assignable busses.
- Separated server solution that utilizes additional free memory, leaving host sequencer memory or memory used by additional Vienna Instruments plug-ins unaddressed.
- PC version: Windows XP and Vista (both 32 and 64-bit).
- Mac version: 32-bit for Mac PPC and Intel, 64-bit version under development.
- Tested with Cubase, Digital Performer, Logic, Pro Tools, Sibelius, and Sonar.
16 Oct 2013 Vienna Symphonic Library Limited Time Offer
09 Sep 2013 VSL updates Vienna MIR Pro to v5.1.12684
15 May 2013 VSL updates Vienna MIR Pro to v5.1.12195
09 Apr 2013 VSL updates Vienna MIR Pro to v5.1.12159
06 Mar 2013 30% Discount on Vienna Strings Collections
20 Dec 2012 VSL updates Vienna MIR Pro to v5.1.11925
26 Nov 2012 VSL updates Vienna MIR Pro to v5.1.11849
11 Apr 2012 VSL releases Vienna MIR PRO 24
04 Jun 2013 30% Discount on Vienna Winds Collections
11 Feb 2013 2013 NAMM Show Report
03 Feb 2011 Audio Impressions announces Ai DAW