15th January 2009
Many producers and synthesizer enthusiasts asked Waldorf for a full-blown Waldorf Synthesizer for their virtual rack. Waldorf listened, enter Largo.
Largo is the first pure software synthesizer with Waldorf DNA. Largo mirrors the technology used in Blofeld and Q hardware synthesizers. As with every Waldorf instrument, ergonomics are a core feature on screen as well. Your eyes will be pleased with a clearly structured, graphical user interface that supports your workflow intuitively.
Largo offers three fat oscillators, two of them with sub oscillators. These oscillators include models of classic analog waveforms as well as a selection of waves from the PPG and Waldorf Wave stored in two Wavetables. All these run through two Waldorf multi-mode filters with steep cut-off, resonance up to self-oscillation and a drive stage to add even more punch and graininess to the sound. Ultra-fast envelope generators and flexible LFOs as well as an easy to understand, yet extremely versatile modulation matrix make for a sound designer's dream.
The filters have always been a core part of any Waldorf instrument. With outstanding expertise in both analog and digital synthesis, the developers took utmost care in developing the filters. Use the comb filters for plucked, stringed or blown sounds. Band pass, high pass, low pass and notch filters are all available with 12 dB and 24 dB slope. All of them sound extremely accurate and add pure sonic quality to the sound of your music.
Largo contains a flexible arpeggiator with 16 freely programmable steps as known from the exclusive Q synthesizer line plus an array of high quality effects such as Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Overdrive, Delay and Reverb.
The clearly arranged user interface helps you to create your own powerful synthesizer sounds in a breeze. Oscillators and filters are always in direct access while the sub-modules are only a mouse click away. It has the same exclusive voice architecture as the Q and Blofeld synthesizer line, fully integrated into the total recall system of your Digital Audio Workstation.
- Up to 256 voices per instance (depending on available CPU power).
- Up to 4 layers per sound.
- 4 stereo outputs (alternatively 1 stereo sum).
- Host automation of almost all parameters.
- MIDI Controller automation of the most important parameters.
- 5 Oscillators:
- 3 Main Oscillators.
- 2 Sub Oscillators.
- Virtual Analog Models:
- Pulse with Pulse Width Modulation.
- Wavetables: Q Alt 1 and Alt 2 Wavetable.
- Frequency Modulation between Oscillators and Noise Generator.
- Oscillator Synchronization.
- Ring Modulator for Osc 1 / 2.
- Noise Generator with Noise Colour.
- 2 independent Multi Mode Filters:
- Filter FM.
- Resonance up to Self-Oscillation.
- Low Pass 24 dB / 12 dB.
- Band Pass 24 dB / 12 dB.
- High Pass 24 dB / 12 dB.
- Notch 24 dB / 12 dB.
- Comb Filter with positive / negative Feedback.
- Sample&Hold (sample rate reduction).
- 2 Drive Stages per voice with adjustable Drive Gain and selectable Curves:
- Sine Shaper.
- and more.
- Modulation Matrix with 16 Slots, freely programmable.
- Modulation Speed far into Audio Range.
- Modulation Sources include all internal Modulation Sources plus various MIDI messages.
- Modulation Destinations for almost all continuous sound parameters.
- Various pre-routed Modulation Destinations with selectable Sources:
- Pitch Modulation.
- Oscillator 1 / 2 / 3 Frequency Modulation.
- Oscillator 1 / 2 / 3 Pulse Width Modulation.
- Filter 1 / 2 Cutoff Modulation.
- Filter 1 / 2 Frequency Modulation.
- Pan 1 / 2 Modulation.
- Amp Modulation.
- 4 Modifiers for transforming Modulation Sources with various Algorithms.
- 3 fast LFOs:
- Syncable to MIDI Clock.
- Note Retrigger with adjustable Start Phase.
- Monophonic LFO.
- Freely drawable LFO waveform with 16 steps.
- 4 fast Envelopes with selectable types:
- Single Trigger / Retrigger per Envelope.
- ADS1DS2R (2 Decay/Sustain stages plus adjustable Attack Level).
- One Shot.
- Loop S1S2 (Loop between Sustain 1 and 2).
- Loop All (Loop over all stages).
- Poly, Mono, Dual or Unisono Mode with selectable Voice Count.
- Powerful Arpeggiator:
- Hold and One Shot modes.
- Syncable to MIDI Clock.
- Direction Up, Down, Alternate.
- Range up to 10 Octaves.
- Various methods to modify Note Sort Order.
- Freely programmable Arpeggiator Pattern with up to 16 Steps.
- Programmable per Step:
- Glide on/off.
- Previous note.
- Random note from Note List.
- First and/or last note from Note List.
- 2 Effect slots per layer.
- Effect Types:
- Delay (2nd effect slot only).
- Reverb (2nd effect slot only).
Pricing & Availability
Pricing and release date have not yet been announced but Largo will be available as VST and AudioUnit instrument plug-ins for Windows and Mac OS X.
05 Sep 2011 Waldorf release Lector Vocoder Plug-in
16 May 2010 Waldorf updates Largo for Windows to v1.5.1
11 Mar 2010 Waldorf releases TechnoTrance Soundset for Largo
28 Dec 2009 Waldorf updates Largo to v1.5.0
09 Jul 2009 Waldorf updates Largo to v1.1
09 Jun 2009 Waldorf releases Largo
15 Jan 2009 Waldorf announces Largo
16 Jul 2007 Waldorf Edition for Mac OS X updated to v1.2.5
06 Dec 2006 Waldorf Edition updated to v1.2.4
04 Aug 2003 Waldorf Attack updated to v1.2.1