|Product||Blue Cat's Dynamics|
|Developer||Blue Cat Audio|
|Type / Tags|
|Copy Protection||Serial Number|
Blue Cat's Dynamics is a complete dynamics effect processor: it can be used as a compressor, limiter, gate, expander or even waveshaper for distortion. You can manage the dynamics response of the plug-in with a unique two-thresholds system. The plug-in includes an input filter as well as a side chain filter, in order to control the frequencies affected by the compression. Its continuous VCA/Opto and Peak/RMS controls let you smoothly and precisely choose the behavior of the envelope detection like you have never been able to.
- Full featured dynamics processor: compressor, gate, limiter, expander, waveshaper.
- Total control over the processor: continuous peak/RMS and Opto/VCA modes selection.
- Total control over the signal: dry/wet control for parallel compression, input and side chain filters.
- Stereo or mid-side processing with multiple channels linking options.
- Post brickwall limiter or waveshaper.
- Optimal monitoring: dynamics response and input/output envelopes real time display with zooming capability, the main compression information can be recorded as automation curves.
- Best quality: up to 4x oversampling for the best sounding quality.
- Side chaining made easy: a unique way to perform side chain compression, ducking, gating and much more.
- Multiple skins included for optimal user experience.
- Plugin window transparency management.
- No latency.
Blue Cat Audio Standards:
- Supported platforms: Mac-AU, Mac-VST, Windows-DX, Windows-VST.
- Native DSP code for optimal performance.
- Skinnable user interface.
- Smooth Update: silent (zipper-free) parameters update.
- Full automation support (all parameters can be automated, with smooth and continuous update).
- No CPU load on idle: when the plug-in is fed with silence, the processing smoothly shuts down, to optimize the CPU usage of your Digital Audio Workstation.
- Real time MIDI control with advanced settings (MIDI channel and CC numbers, with complete response curve control) and MIDI learn.
- Automation and MIDI output: record output parameters as automation curves or send MIDI CC messages to other plug-ins for powerful side chain effects.
- Smooth Bypass: activate/deactivate the plug-in with absolutely no noise.
- Import/Export presets in a host independent format.
- Any sample rate supported.
Reviewed By neilpullen
November 10, 2007
I enjoy using this plugin a lot because it can do lots of different things and rewards experimentation. If you want to do basic compression it can handle it no problem, but try turning a few dials, use the RMS/Opto/Peak modes (or different combinations of) and just see how pumping you can make that drum loop!
The visual representation of the curve and input is a massive help, and I'd recommend this to anyone fairly new to dynamics as you learn a lot from adjusting the controls and seeing the effects on screen.
The sound is fantastic, at a great CPU point -- and if you want to, you can oversample the sound when you're ready for rendering (or before if you're lucky enough to have a powerful machine!)
For features it's hard to beat. There's preset loading/saving, built in undo, switchable skins (for example if you're only going to use it as a limiter you have a limiter skin with just two controls). It's got MIDI learn and MIDI control, and used in conjunction with Blue Cat's Peak Meter it's a breeze to have sidechaining, or use an audio stream to control any parameter you want. This plugin begs to be experimented with!
The GUI is fine and functional, and has a neat opacity feature whereby you can make it transparent to see what's happening underneath the plug. All of Blue Cat's plugins are supported by a skinning language, so anyone can reskin the plugin to make it look like however they want. Blue Cat's site offers free skin downloads too, so if you're not keen on the GUI see what others they've got on offer!
The price is not too shabby at all, considering that you're getting more than a compressor, you're getting a full dynamics suite. If you were to buy a limiter, compressor, gate, expander of similar quality it would certainly come to more. Plus Blue Cat are very generous when it comes to previous customer discounts and the like.
The Blue Cat support is excellent. They are available through their forum or email and are active participants in KVR. They've always responded quickly and friendly to any issues I've had -- superb.
I've never had it crash on my, using either Ableton or Reaper with Windows Vista.
In summary, the key word here is flexibility. If you're in the market for a dynamics processor, or something to augment what you've already got, give this demo a spin and see what you come up with -- you might just surprise yourself!Read more