ClipShifter is a wave-shaping clipping-style limiter that provides enough user controls to be useful in all mixing stages. ClipShifter uses a unique threshold control to change the clipping threshold dynamically based on the transient characteristics of the incoming audio. The sonic characteristics of the clipping distortion can be altered from hard, brickwall-style clipping, to softer saturation with compression. Additional parameters allow the user to control the even- and odd-order components of the saturation.
ClipShifter is released as a free and paid plugin. The paid plugin adds oversampling (2, 4, and 8 times) with selectable double processing, mid/side processing, and a 3-way multiband frequency control. The multiband frequency control can be used to apply clipping to certain frequency bands, while the free version applies the audio clipping to the entire frequency spectrum. ClipShifter is released:
- Windows 32- and 64-bit VST.
- Windows 32- and 64-bit VST3.
- OS X 32/64-bit Audio Units.
- OS X 32/64-bit VST.
- OS X 32/64-bit VST3.
Major changes and new features from version 2.0.0
Plugin format: Now supports multiple Windows and OS X formats.
- Independent Release control.
- Smoothness/decay control for waveform view.
- Clip Reduction waveform view.
- Volume zoom control.
Controls and processing:
- Optimization to decrease CPU usage.
- Double processing: additional processing of audio when oversampling is on.
- Mid/Side processing: Selectable control for processing only the Mid, Side, or Stereo components of the audio. Includes separate gain control, solo, and width control.