|Type / Tags|
Loopscape is a tape-loop based synthesiser inspired by experimental musical pioneers of the 60s and 70s like Brian Eno. Eno created ambient music by combining tape loops of different lengths to create non-repeating, infinitely-varying compositions. Loopscape takes that concept and turns it into a synthesiser.
At its most basic, Loopscape offers the user three virtual tape loops which can be run simultaneously. Each of these can be loaded with any one of six classic analog waveforms, and each can be set to run for between half a second and 17 seconds (in non-regular intervals). Each of the three virtual loops can be independently sculpted by a high / low pass resonant filter with LFO, and three further LFOs which control amplitude (twice) and pitch. Five LFO wave shapes are available, including a random wave. Although the controls are simple, the complexity of the underlying loops, plus the modulation, means that a single note played by Loopscape will not repeat its sonic fingerprint for thousands of years.
In the Global pane there are Level knobs and a full AHDSR envelope for each loop. Global effects include Tape Saturation, Chorus, Flanger and Delay (with stereo spread), allowing the fantastically complex waveforms generated by Loopscape to be manipulated in a familiar, traditional manner.
Every component sound within Loopscape was recorded onto analog tape, using a variety of old valve-driven equipment from the 50s and 60s. The waveforms themselves were sourced from analog synthesisers and were deliberately chosen for their irregular sonic character. Wow, flutter, distortion, print-through, and a wide variety of other tape-based "flaws" contribute extensively to the character of Loopscape's synthesis engine.
- Three virtual Tape Loops running 24-bit recordings of real analog tape.
- Each Loop can be loaded with Saw, Double Saw, Triangle, Square, Sine or Noise waveforms.
- Each Loop can have its length chosen from 0.5, 0.66, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13 and 17 seconds.
- Each Loop has a switchable High / Low pass resonant filter.
- Each Loop has four LFOs: Filter, Amp 1, Amp 2 and Pitch.
- LFO wave shapes can be chosen from Sine, Triangle, Sawtooth, Square and Random.
- Full AHDSR envelopes for each Loop.
- Global tape-based Effects section with Saturation, Chorus, Flanger and Delay.
Loopscape is available now from Rhythmic Robot's website and is priced at £34.95. It is compatible with Kontakt version 4.2.3 and above (including Kontakt 5). Kontakt Player is not supported.