|Product||Ludwig Super Classic Kit - Kontakt Pack|
|Type / Tags|
|Copy Protection||Customized Per Customer|
The Ludwig Super Classic - Kontakt 5 Pack mixed by Guy Massey, has been built for the full version of the latest version of Native Instruments Kontakt 5. The Pack comes with the Drumdrops Kontakt Instrument which has a full mixer, step sequencer, MIDI grooves and utilises 8240 separate drum samples for added realism.
Most people will know of the reputation of Ludwig drums, famously used by Ringo Starr from a little known 60s Liverpudlian band, and later by John Bonham of Led Zeppelin. They sound fantastic, warm and responsive with a lovely dark tone. Made before music became really amplified and loud, these drums were designed to sound good rather than generate loads of volume and as such they are wonderfully full and tonal, especially when recorded and miked up. Although obviously a 1960s kit, drummers continued to use this model though the 70s, and do so to this very day in fact... They just record so well.
This kit sounds wonderful. The toms have a beautiful resonance. It comprises a 20" x 14" kick drum, a 13" x 9" rack tom and a 16" x 16" floor tom. The snares used are a wooden 1960s 14" x 5" Rogers Dynasonic and a 1970s 14" x 6.5" Ludwig 402. The cymbals used were an early 70s 20" Zildjian K medium Heavy 20" Ride and the hats some Zildjian K 14" Hi-Hats from the same era, and a Zildjian K Dark Medium Thin 18" Crash. This kit belongs to the drummer Tim Weller.
The kit was recorded by our resident Drumdrops engineer Ben Thackeray and mixed by Grammy award winning ex-Abbey Road engineer Guy Massey. The drummer was Tim Weller, a busy UK session drummer recent clients included - Death in Vegas, Chris Difford, Future Sound of London, Marc Almond, Beverley Craven, Natalie Imbruglia, Duke Special, Ellie Goulding and Noel Gallagher.
The recording took place in Miloco's The Square Studios in London. Quite a controlled and tight sounding live room so you can really hear the sound of this kit and treat it later. For mic pre's we used a combination of the SSL G-Series and a number of external pre's including Calrec 1061's, Valve Telefunken V76, a Neve 1066 and Neve Prisms.
The kit was mixed on the SSL G-Series console at The Square by Guy Massey. In the past few years Guy has worked with many artists including Bill Fay, Ed Sheeran, Ultrasound, Neil Hannon and Thomas Walsh and Paul McCartney as well as many up and coming acts. In 2010 he won two UK Music Producer Guild awards for engineer of the year and best album. He won engineer of the year again this year.
The "Kontakt Pack" has been designed exclusively for the latest full version of Native Instruments Kontakt 5. The pack includes up to sixteen velocities of each articulation and up to 5 round robins. In total it contains 8240 samples. Included in the Kontakt pack is the latest version of the Drumdrops Kontakt 5 instrument. The key features are:-:
- Groove Player - There are 864 MIDI Grooves that are included in the MIDI Groove Player that are played by a variety of drummers.
- Step Sequencer - The sequencer has eight channels allowing any eight of the articulations of the Ludwig Kit to be selected and played. The sequencer contains 32 steps for each channel.
- Groove Slicer – The Groove Slicer cuts each MIDI groove into thirty-two sections. These sections can then be played back in a different order to the original depending on what which of the three modes are selected.
- Mic Blend - Here you can control the mix on the microphones used for each channel. You can vary the balance of the close microphone with the overheads and room microphones or the top and bottom snare microphones.
- An 8 channel mixer. Each channel comes with a Mute, Solo, Phase Reverse and 2 Aux sends.
- Multiple Convolution Reverbs included, 4 studio Impulse responses and many classic reverbs and effects.
- The ability to change the velocity curve and tuning of each drum.
- Randomise the tuning, velocity, EQ and timing for added realism.
- Multiple Round Robins included for extra authenticity.
- 4 band EQ and Transient Master included on each channel.
- A buss compressor and Tape saturator on the mix buss.
- Ability to route each channel to your DAW.
- Multiple Mix presets included mixed by a variety of engineers, musicians and producers.
- A full version and lite version for use on laptops.
- Multiple MIDI maps included with full compatibility with the Roland TD-12, TD-20 and TD-30 V-drums and the Yamaha DTX-900.
The Kontakt Pack will be available exclusively from the Drumdrops store costing £ 40.00. Users will need the latest full version of Kontakt 5. Head over to the Drumdrops site find out more. This pack will be released on the 28th of August between 4 and 4.30 pm with a special offer.
Reviewed By beeny
January 25, 2015
Just bought this pack last night. AMAZING! I've been looking for this sound for years. I own a lot of commercial drum libraries which I still find useful (Studio Drummer, Abbey Road, Ezdrummer2 + various EZXs), but none of them come close to this for a vintage Ludwig sound. What I like best is the fact that you can get a really nice dry sound as well. The kick and snare are perfect. If you're signing up with a new account make they offer 20% off with your first purchase also. Also should mention that the Kontakt scripting is very similar to the Native Instruments drum libraries so it will be familiar if you have used those products.
Very happy.Read more
Reviewed By tommyzai
August 29, 2014
*Disclaimer: I'm a songwriter, producer, and educator. My writing style may read like a billboard ad, but my user review is sincere and authentic. I only appraise a product I consider extraordinary, hence the high rating. I don't work for the developer. In fact, I rarely work at all. :-) I hope you find my review useful. — Tommy Zai
I am not a adverspammer! LOL
The 1965 Ludwig Super Classic Kit by DrumDrops is an excellent drum sample library and rhythm workstation that provides a detailed patch for Kontakt. The Pack contains up to sixteen velocities per articulation and 5 round robins that total over 8000 individual samples. The kit sounds great out-of-the-box and it is easily customizable and adjustable. Ludwig's Super Classic model was a standard configuration for the industry and used by many top drummers, including the one and only Ringo, who served a song without dominating it! The '65 kit had a simple, compact configuration; yet, it was powerful enough to drive some of the greatest bands in the history of pop, rock, jazz, soul, etc. I love having "Ringo in a box, " but even if I weren't a Beatle-maniac I would buy this sample library for the pure sound of the kit. There is something very special about it! This library is everything I sonically hoped for — authentic, warm, tight, punchy, alive, and personal without any unwanted room ambience. I'm not sure what microphones, preamps, drummers, and engineers were used to create this sample library, but whatever and whoever they are — they did a sweet job. Until now, I had been constructing my pseudo Super Classic Kit by cannibalizing bits and pieces from various sample libraries to approximate the sound I was after. Sadly, coming close was not good enough. In addition to the authentic sound, DrumDrops has created an interface that serves as a rhythm workstation. It comes with a Groove Player, featuring 800 or so MIDI patterns created by real drummers and an eight channel, 32-step per channel Step Sequencer. There is also a Groove Slicer that I have yet to explore. The beat creation aspect of this pack allows me to finally ditch some of the other subpar sample libraries that I've been holding onto that have a groove player.
- Kick Drum: Vintage 1965 Ludwig Super Classic (14" X 20").
- Snare #1: 1960s Rogers Dynasonic Wooden Snare (5.5" X 14).
- Snare #2: 1970s Ludwig 402 Snare (5" X 14").
- Rack Tom: Vintage 1965 Ludwig Super Classic (13" x 9").
- Floor Tom: Vintage 1965 Ludwig Super Classic (16" X 16").
- Ride: 1970s Zildjian K Medium Heavy 20" Ride.
- Crash: 1970s Zildjian K Dark Medium Thin 18" Crash.
- Hi Hat: 1970s Zildjian K 14" Hi Hats.
My Favorite Features:
- Simple, powerful interface.
- Easy to process according to taste.
- Randomization feature for tuning, velocities, EQ, etc.
- Sequencer and Groove player.
- Microphone blend – ability to vary the balance of the different microphones at their respective positions.
- Eight channel mixer (Mute, Solo, Phase Reverse, etc.) with excellent routing to DAW.
- Built in buss compressor and tape saturator.
- Useful mix presets.
- Responsive, innovative developer.
Value for the Price:
- Excellent quality vs. price ratio when compared to other vintage packs.
Quality of the Sound:
- Unmistakably the real thing. Sound is phenomenal, and with very little imagination I can feel and smell the mahogany.
- Can I add my own MIDI drum patterns to the Groove Player?
- What revisions and updates are projected for this library?
This is a bittersweet day for me as a songwriter and producer. Sweet, because I finally have one complete, authentic, great sounding, industry standard 1965 Ludwig Super Classic Kit; Bitter, because I no longer have any excuses. My muse is looking me and asking, "Well, are you going to chew gum or bang out some beats?" Now that I have this drum sample library, it's time to create some music! I highly recommend this kit to any eMusician, producer, sound designer, film or video sound-tracker, video gamer, DJ, etc., who digs the vintage, yet timeless mid-60s sound. Tommy Zai gives this fine Kontakt 5 Pack two hard-hitting rim shots help up high! Thank you, DrumDrops, for resurrecting and breathing life back into my ultimate dream kit.Read more