Magnus is a reed organ instrument sampled from two vintage Magnus reed organs: a Bakelite model from the 1950s, and a red plastic model from the 1970s. The Bakelite model was Magnus Organs' first ever model and is extremely rare.
Magnus allows the user to blend the "Bakelite" and "Plastic" samples to taste via the front panel controls, and adds Tone and "Electrify" -- which brings in tube harmonic distortion to the sound. Attack and Release controls are available for the amplitude envelope, and longer release times invoke a slight pitch drop-off as the sound decays, which mimics the behaviour of a real reed organ having its keys very slowly let up (air pressure through the reeds drops, and the pitch falls as a result). Stereo spread, chorus and phaser effects are available on the rear panel.
Magnus excels at unusual organ sounds and breathy pad textures.
- Bakelite 1950s and Plastic 1970s samples can be blended to taste.
- "Electrify" control for adding harmonic distortion; Tone control for high-end roll-off.
- Attack and Decay parameters.
- Original pitch drop-off emulated on long ADSR release settings.
- Stereo spread, chorus and phaser controls on rear panel.
Price: £3.95 Requires Kontakt version 4.2.3 or later (including Kontakt 5)